Is a Temporary Table Really Necessary?

• Hi Randy,

Thanks for the article. We also had similar issues joining two three tables with over 200 Million rows with WHERE condition, the O/P was dying if we used derived tables or JOINS. But once we started using #temp tables pre-populated with where conditions the queries executed in seconds.

I think execution manager in SQL Server 2005 in not efficiently managing the worker tables or derived tables when the dataset is huge.

Regards,

Razi, M.
    http://questivity.com/it-training.html

• SQL Server 2005 handles most code better, but not all.

If you are having performance issues, I suggest you post a more details explanation in the SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning Forum.

• > I am not fond of cursors and advocate doing anything possible to replace the cursor

What do you gain by handling the looping yourself rather than just using a cursor? I try and get rid of cursors by replacing with a single sql statement. Obviously this won't work if you have to call a stored procedure for every record in a table (for example), but if you have to do this then why is using your own looping mechanism preferable to using a cursor?

• alex (5/15/2009)

> I am not fond of cursors and advocate doing anything possible to replace the cursor

What do you gain by handling the looping yourself rather than just using a cursor? I try and get rid of cursors by replacing with a single sql statement. Obviously this won't work if you have to call a stored procedure for every record in a table (for example), but if you have to do this then why is using your own looping mechanism preferable to using a cursor?

I agree... a good "firehose" cursor makes sense here.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 91 through 93 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply