Is a foreign key constraint an index? If not, is an index automatically created in order to enforce it?

• Gazareth (8/4/2014)

I just thought the easy Q & high points was an attempt to improve everyone's Monday morning 🙂

Can we do this every week?!

+ 1 🙂

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Got some energy for Monday 🙂

• Good way to start the week. I'm one of those who read the question and found it obvious, but had to re-read it because of the point value. I'm certainly not complaining. Thanks for the question, Phil.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Good question. 🙂

• I think the point value was appropriate, not due to the difficulty of the question, but rather the value of knowing the basics well. Knowing some arcane bit of trivia may come in handy once in a blue moon or in a trivia game, but knowing the fundamentals cold is what makes you successful day in and day out. Keep it up Phil.

There are no facts, only interpretations.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

• Gazareth (8/4/2014)

I just thought the easy Q & high points was an attempt to improve everyone's Monday morning 🙂

Can we do this every week?!

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Phil Factor (8/4/2014)

I'm sorry if it got scored too high, but when I ask this as part of a technical interview, it seems to stump a very large proportion of the candidates. I suspect that it is one of those questions that are either blindingly obvious or impenetrably baffling. And, yes, it could be a trick question for anyone used to some of the other RDBMSs

No apologies needed. And yes, surprisingly too many people cannot answer this kind of question in an interview.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Phil Factor (8/4/2014)

I'm sorry if it got scored too high, but when I ask this as part of a technical interview, it seems to stump a very large proportion of the candidates. I suspect that it is one of those questions that are either blindingly obvious or impenetrably baffling. And, yes, it could be a trick question for anyone used to some of the other RDBMSs

No apologies needed. And yes, surprisingly too many people cannot answer this kind of question in an interview.

+1

Tom

• Only 75% correct answers so lots of people have learned something

• SQLRNNR (8/3/2014)

george sibbald (8/3/2014)

me too, but who's complaining? 🙂

Me!! Take my points back. I protest!! :-D:hehe:;-)

No need to protest. I'll take the extra three points you don't want. It will put me that much closer to retirement.

BTW, liked the question. Big fan of back to basics questions. Don't want them every day. But, "old timers" like me need a review now and again to see if we are getting fuzzy in any areas. And the newer folks just plain need them.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Good question with several possible answers (not just True/False) that sound somewhat reasonable. Thanks!

I think whether you think four points is too many depends, in part, on whether you answered it right or not. 🙂

• barry.mcconnell (8/4/2014)

I think the point value was appropriate, not due to the difficulty of the question, but rather the value of knowing the basics well. Knowing some arcane bit of trivia may come in handy once in a blue moon or in a trivia game, but knowing the fundamentals cold is what makes you successful day in and day out. Keep it up Phil.

+1

And thank you, Phil, for the post, very interesting one.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Phil Factor (8/4/2014)

And I am one of them... just one hour before answering this QtoD, I have created 6 tables (work related) 4 are PKs and 2 are FKs and I literally did execute sp_help for each table to see the details. And even knowing that there will be no index creation for FKs.. I still created couple of sample tables with PKFK to see if the index get created.... :w00t: (Soon, I guess, this qtod point will be dropped from my memory going further and no idea how many qtods objective have already been dropped... well;)

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• twin.devil (8/4/2014)

Nice question, surprisingly too many people still fall for it if you ask them in a interview 😀

Thanks for sharing Phil.

:w00t:

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply