Is 2000->7->2000 transaction replication possible

• We have a transactional based replication system that is currently deployed. Transaction based and we subscribe to a publication, perform some actions, then replicate additional data back. The Initial publication is going to be upgraded from 7 to 2000. We will remain on 7.0......Is this OK, any links to implementation documents appreciated.

Regards

Andy P

Andy P

• I have not tried this as of yet but have run accross several statements from Microsoft to only replicate 7 to 7 and 2000 to 2000 but no details on how to do otherwise. You may want to consider upgrading to 2000 as well or try a DTS approach, or just try it in a test scenario.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I have done it without a problem. When you define a publication in SQL2K there is an option to indicate if all the subscribers are SQL2K or not.

Andy

• But I actually wonder what will happen with 7 to 2000 even though 7 has the same type option.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Just from 7 to 2k, or bi-directional? I don't see why it wouldnt work that way as well. Only gap I can think of is that pull might work a little differently, not sure. Wouldnt take long to test...if you have a SQL 7 box set up, I dont have one at present.

Andy

• Thanks for all of this everybody.

I was aware that an upgrade to 2000 is recommended due to 'features' in 7.0 but, (again) it's down to politics of my client whether they also upgrade.

Let's see what they decide then, hey!

Regards

Andy P

Andy P

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply