invalid login for user on sql 2000 standard

• Hello,

Today we moved a production database from our sql 2000 server to a sql 2005 server. all went well. EXCEPT we are getting on our sql 2000 server, 'login failed for user <sql user name> . there is nothing else in the message to lead us as to where this message is coming from. We have changed all possible odbc connections on all servers possible. Now this user name 'was' a user to the database we moved. the message occurs ever 5 minutes to the T.

is there anyway for me to find out where this is coming from?

Thank you in advance for any leads !!

Juanita

• Sorry everyone, i just realized I posted this under sql 2005. sql 2005 would at least give me more info if i could be so lucky for this to be occurring there.

still looking for help !

juanita

• You can run a profiler trace to try and capture the code. Since it happens every 5 minutes, you need only run the trace for a short time frame (10 minutes should be plenty of time).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• have a look what sql jobs run every 5 minutes and see if any of them are failing. its likely going to be a legacy service you have forgotten about which has an internal timer to run every 5 minutes.

as mentioned above run a profiler trace to capture failed logins and you should soon track it down

• hello !!

it was an old server that was trying to make a connection and nobody remembered about it...

Thank you so much !!!

juanita

• Good to hear.

Thanks for updating back to the thread.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply