Invalid length parameter passed to the LEFT or SUBSTRING function.

• I get that error when i run my code against a very large table.

Most Prod_IDs have two dashes. I want to pull the value between the dashes.  This code works, until it hits an odd ball part in the table where there is only 1 dash.

Not sure how to write the case statement to get around it, in this case, i don't care about parts without two dashes, is there a way to turn off warnings, similar to ANSI warnings for divide by 0?

thanks

SUBSTRING(PROD_id,CHARINDEX('-',PROD_ID)+1,(((LEN(PROD_ID))-CHARINDEX('-', REVERSE(PROD_id)))-CHARINDEX('-',pROD_id))) AS Prod_Base,
  • jeffshelix wrote:

I get that error when i run my code against a very large table. Most Prod_IDs have two dashes. I want to pull the value between the dashes.  This code works, until it hits an odd ball part in the table where there is only 1 dash. Not sure how to write the case statement to get around it, in this case, i don't care about parts without two dashes, is there a way to turn off warnings, similar to ANSI warnings for divide by 0? thanks

SUBSTRING(PROD_id,CHARINDEX('-',PROD_ID)+1,(((LEN(PROD_ID))-CHARINDEX('-', REVERSE(PROD_id)))-CHARINDEX('-',pROD_id))) AS Prod_Base,

As you "don't care" about these cases, why not exclude them in your WHERE clause?

Alternatively, handle them using an IIF() condition.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• there are thousands  . . . . can I exclude them in the where clause by using

WHERE

LEN(PROD_ID) - LEN(REPLACE(PROD_ID, '-', '')) > 1

??

• well, crap on a cracker, that worked!! thanks for pointing me in the right direction besides south!!

• jeffshelix wrote:

there are thousands  . . . . can I exclude them in the where clause by using WHERE LEN(PROD_ID) - LEN(REPLACE(PROD_ID, '-', '')) > 1   ??  

That's how I'd do it. Well done on figuring it out.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply