Invalid column error

• Hey all-

I am trying to add a column to a table, and the update that newly added column.  these two things are relatively simple, however when I place them inside a if statement, i get the error:

Invalid column name 'TOTAL_VOTES'

Here is my SQL:

if (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'RESULTS'

AND COLUMN_NAME = 'TOTAL_VOTES'

) = 0

begin

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] int not NULL DEFAULT (0); --WITH VALUES

UPDATE RESULTS SET TOTAL_VOTES = (OPTION1 + OPTION2 + OPTION3 + OPTION4 + OPTION5 + OPTION6 + OPTION7 + OPTION8 + OPTION9 + OPTION10)

end

i need the if check b/c I only want to add and populate the column if it doesn't already exist in the table. (prior to this I check to see if the table exists)

I have tried to set a variable and then based off of that variable, populate the new column, but that doesn't work either.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Why does it throw this error, and how can I get around it? 

• >>Why does it throw this error, and how can I get around it?

SQL is parsed, an execution plan is generated, then it is executed.

The parser is throwing the error because the column does not exist at parse time.

You have to do this as 2 separate SQL batches, or 1 batch with dynamic SQL for the UPDATE statement.

• thanks for the help PW!

How do you do Dynamic SQL for the update statement?  I've never done dynamic SQL...

• Here's one way to do it...

SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
    IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0
    BEGIN
        ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] int not NULL DEFAULT (0); 

UPDATE RESULTS SET TOTAL_VOTES = (OPTION1 + OPTION2 + OPTION3 + OPTION4 + OPTION5 + OPTION6 + OPTION7 + OPTION8 + OPTION9 + OPTION10)
    END

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Hey Sushila-

I tried your above method, but I get the same result...an error saying:

"Invalid column name 'TOTAL_VOTES'."

I don't understand what makes your method dynamic...can you explain?

thanks

• >>How do you do Dynamic SQL for the update statement?  I've never done dynamic SQL...

Declare @SQL varchar(1000)

if (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

) = 0

begin

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] int not NULL DEFAULT

(0); --WITH VALUES

--Construct SQL to executed dynamically

SET @SQL  = 'UPDATE RESULTS SET TOTAL_VOTES = (OPTION1 + OPTION2 + OPTION3 + OPTION4 + OPTION5 + OPTION6 + OPTION7 + OPTION8 + OPTION9 + OPTION10)'

--Execute the SQL

exec (@SQL)

end

• Something like this..

if(SELECT count(*) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

AND COLUMN_NAME = 'TOTAL_VOTES') = 0

BEGIN

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] as Option1 + Option2

END

HTH

Mathew J Kulangara
    sqladventures.blogspot.com

• Just to explain - my method wasn't supposed to be dynamic....

I was doing it in 2 separate batches...works for me...can't figure out why you continue getting the same error msg ?!

• IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

BEGIN

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] int not NULL DEFAULT (0);

END

>>I was doing it in 2 separate batches...works for me...

How did you get 2 batches within the same BEGIN ... END block of an IF statement ?

• Thanks for all the help!

I stumbled apon the exec() command prior to seeing your lasts couple posts PW,  and it does exactly what I need!  Much thanks!

I did it like this:

if ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

) = 0

BEGIN

exec('ALTER TABLE [dbo].[RESULTS] ADD [TOTAL_VOTES] int not NULL DEFAULT (0);');

exec('UPDATE RESULTS SET TOTAL_VOTES = (OPTION1 + OPTION2 + OPTION3 + OPTION4 + OPTION5 + OPTION6 + OPTION7 + OPTION8 + OPTION9 + OPTION10);');

end

Like PW said, I am bascily forcing the T-SQL to execute by using the exec() command for each of my batches.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• My bad...I shouldn't have said "batches"....was in a hurry...

BUT...when I do an "if count(*) = 0 etc..." I get the "columns doesn't exist" error - whereas when I send 2 separate sql statements it alters the table and updates the column just fine...I've done this about 5 times now and it works every single time...still trying to figure out why it's working for me...unless you have any explanations ?!?!?!?!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply