Invalid class string error

• Some genius decided to upgrade my datawarehouse server to windows 2000 without telling me. Ive been rebuilding the database from scratch but am having problems with a few DTS packages. Keep getting invalid class string error, and then the dts designer closes down when trying to open them. It`s weird, it`s not happening to them all, just a few and the functionality of them is similar. I`ve checked the MS KB but none of the solutions seem to fit.

Anyone got any other ideas?!

Cheers,

Andy.

• Restore from backup or recreate. The DTS pacakges are somewhat fragile and when they break, they be BROKEN!

A good reason to keep a .dts backup of your packages.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I`m trying to restore from my backups! Thats just the problem. Incidentally, theres some sort of dual booting trickery to boot the machine into the old NT. Have done that but the packages that I can`t recreate on the win2k get the same error when they execute?!?! I`ve even tried those same packages to different servers with the same error. I`ve got several backups of the .dts files too, the same packages get the same errors so there no common denominator really.

It`s got me stumped.

Andy.

• Are you SQL2k or SQL7? I had this problem after a service pack upgrade with SQL 7. Clients with the previous service pack could not open or run packages in Enterprise Manager. In that case, we simply upgraded the clients to the same service pack. Seems that DTS packages are very touchy little buggers.

So you say that you cannot open these packages if you boot Win NT? Try restoring msdb from prior to the upgrade (packages are stored there), boot Win NT, and try to open a package. That SHOULD work since it is your pre-upgrade state. If not, then something else has changed, maybe a registry setting.

Could it be due to a new MDAC version installed with Win2k? Not sure if this is related but something to check.

I think I would raise hell about an unannounced server upgrade and have them restore it back the way it was!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply