• Hi,

What is Data Optimization??

What does it apply to?

How can Data Optimization be achieved??

Thanks

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks [/font]

• Bing had some good answers on that one, if you want details. I assume Google would too.

Basically, it's part of data modeling.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• So we can help you understand this, but you're asking a very general question, without any work on your part. The answer could be taken in a few contexts, so you'll have to provide more information, or go get it from the person that asked you.

Note that we're not here to help you fake an interview. If you don't know, say "I don't know"

• Thanks....I did google it, but was more confused with the results and hence wanted a general yet simple answer to the question that can be given in an interview.

http://www.geekinterview.com/kb/Data-Optimization.html

In this link it says in the middle:

Data optimization can be achieved by data mapping, an essential aspect in data integration.

how what is exactly data optimization ? Does it apply separately to ETL /REPORTS /T-SQL???

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

• It's essentially the conversion from logical data model to a physical data model, so far as I understand it. Beyond that, it's all details.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks ,I am a little bit clear now.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

• Data Optimization is a broad term. It could mean optimizing data retrieval. Say you have a table with no indexes. If you want to make the query run faster you can add indexing and instead of the compiler doing a table scan it does an index seek.

Another way to think of this is if you wanted to find a certain subject in a book you would not start at the first page and turn till you find it. You'd immediately go to the index see the page number (pointer) that it is on and get to it much faster.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply