Intermittent problem. Not all data is getting through to the database.

• Hi,

We have some software that passes information through to a SQL database. One of our customers seem to be having an intermittent problem where not all the data is getting through to the database.

It's an intermittent problem and no other customers report this issue. Our software sends the data through to the SQL database (this customer is on SQL server 2008 R2) but most of the fields will get a NULL value and some fields actually receive the data. I have tried to recreate the problem by creating exactly the same record but it seems to go through fine for me.

Do you think this could be a network issue or does anybody have any suggestions on where I can start looking to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance
    Paul.

• Have you checked for any invalid characters within the source, that may be a start, oh and they may not be obviously discernable, just to make it easy!

• Unlikely to be a network problem. SQL's behaviour on data modifications is all or nothing. If an insert fails, it fails, it doesn't succeed and leave some columns NULL.

Check that the correct statements are being issued to the DB (Server-side traces, since you're using SQL 2008). Check that no one's modifying things after the fact (triggers on the tables)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Please properly check the invalid characters and all networks.

• Please check your database properly and the characters in it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply