Intellisense Bugs

• I thought Intellisense would have been a welcome addition to SQL 2008 but it's proving to be rather annoying. First, if you create a database with the following command:

CREATE DATABASE test

GO

the database name is only shown in the Intellisense drop-down menu of new query windows. This means that you're constantly having to open new query windows to take advantage of Intellisense when referencing recently-created objects.

Also, Intellisense autocompletes when the full stop (period) is pressed. If you're typing a query such as

SELECT

t.col1,

u.col1

FROM table1 t

INNER JOIN table2 u ON t.id=u.id

you instead get:

SELECT

tempdb.col1,

u.col1

FROM table1 t

INNER JOIN table2 u ON tempdb.id=u.id

Is there any way to configure Intellisense or turn it off?

• Dunno about configuring, but you can update the intellisense cache to include new objects. Ctr-Shift-R (or Edit->Intellisense->Refresh Local Cache)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Nice info refreshing Intellisense in local cashe!

Thnx GM

:hehe:

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• The cache refreshes automatically from time to time. I have no idea how often. I'll do some investigation and see if I can work it out.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Do you preffer Intellisense to SQL Prompt, or is it too soon to make the switch?

• From what I have seen, SQL 2008 Intellisense is still light years behind SQL Prompt. I don't understand how a company like Microsoft cannot get intellisense to work!?!?! It was the most frustrating thing trying to get it to work.

My 2 cents....

John

• Just curious; for me Microsoft intellisense work perfect.

For old post on 8/26/08.

- Database, I have no problem and can see it on the same query windows

- For '.',he put t before '.' so 'tempdb' come up. I normally press 'ESC' before '.'.

If he put t,[Esc],'.' , he will have no problem.

Note: I use intellisence from may be last year or beginning of this year on SQL server 2005.

Installed only require components at that time.

• I do use the escape button but it's just annoying that I now have to press escape in the middle of typing of scripts. I now have to spend time at the end of each script correcting the places where I've forgotten to press escape. Seems like a step backwards!

• SQL Prompt (I'm using 3.8) >>>> IntelliSense

It's just funny to see 2 prompts at the same time and causing a mess, if I don't disable IntelliSense

However, for machines without SQL Prompt installed, IntelliSense is a good starter tool

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply