instsalling SQL Server 2005 named instance

• Hi,

I have sql server 2000 in my server. I have also installed SQL server 2005 on the same server. Problem is that while installing SQL 2005,I selected the default instance that is of SQL 2000. After installation when I am trying to connect locally it is connecting to SQL server 2000.

So i can't enjoy sql 2005 features.

Is there any way to install SQL 2005 server instance without unistalling SQL 2005 or i have to install it freshly again.

Please help, if u have any suggestion.

Thanks

Shailesh

• To insall a named instance , just run the SQL server installation again and this will give you the option to install a named instance.

• Thanks for the reply but if I am not wrong that will be fresh installation after uninstalling the old one.

Is there any other way, I mean to say without uninstalling old one,that should take less time.

Thanks

Shailesh

• shailesh (12/19/2008)

when I am trying to connect locally it is connecting to SQL server 2000.

So i can't enjoy sql 2005 features.

Shailesh,

You don't have to uninstall or install anything. You can enjoy both SQL Server 2000 and 2005.

If you want to connect to the named instance use ServerName\InstanceName.

If you want to connect to the default instance, use just the ServerName.

(It is not clear to me which version is installed as default instance and which one as named.)

• Hi suresh,

Actually 2005 named instance is not installed.If u can read my first post,my problem will be cleared to u. My sql 2005 is just working as a client for my SQL 2000 server installed.

Thanks

Shailesh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply