Installing Win2K SP3

• We have successfuly installed sp3 on 5 of our win2K server. I have one SQL 2K box that will not allow us to install sql2K sp3. It keeps failing at authetication even with sa I'm logged in as a domain admin/sqladmin. Reinstalling win2k is problematic due to the server being setup by an outside vendor.

Just installed the hotfix, and that went well taking care of the main problem, but I have 2 more boxes behaving like this.

Has anyone come across this problem and resolved it without reinstalling SQL 2K?

Dell hardware,

win 2K sp3

IE 5.0 sp2

Tried directly and through terminal server.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Please do not cross post. This was my answer in your other post.

Have you tried using NT Auth instead? Also, make sure all external connections are gone. Best way is to stop SQL Services and run SP there. Saw this in another thread.

• Sorry about that. I've actually tried all that no luck. I've saw that someone else had posted the same problem sometime back. I just wanted to see if I could get it too work. Curious, is there a verbose switch, which would give more information on why it's failling.

I appreciate the help. Since I'm not driving this database I'm actually backing out. I suggested just installing the patch and that worked fine. This is some vendor installed database anyway, I wasn't even aware of. I'll let the NT group deal with them until my department services are paid for. They had even done a backup on the box since it was deployed. Oh well.

Thanks again, and sorry for the double post, it was just logical to move the discussion to this folder.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply