Installing SS2005 on laptop with Vista

• I have just purchased an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista home premium pre-installed. I was hoping to partition the disc and install windows 2003 so I can run sql server 2005. I find I can't install 2003 or XP - something to do with sata drivers. Is anyone running SS2005 with Vista Ultimate? I'd like to know before I spend hours trying to change the os on laptop. Any tips/pointers gratefully received. As all new machines seem to come with Vista how do other people manage?

• Vista Home Edition does n't support SS2005.so Please switch Over to Vista ulimate or Business Edition.Both will support SS2005.

• I've run SQL 2005 Express and Dev Edition on both Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate.

The main thing to watch out for is, when installing, uncheck the boxes at the end of the installation process that tell it to start the services immediately.

Then, once installed, patch SQL up to SP 2.

Then you should be good to go.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared - did you ever get SSRS to install on home premium? 'Cause no matter how I tried it, it just plain refused to even consider doing it. The installer would just say - "I'm not installing this" with some BS message re: IIS not being around when it was.

Had to do with the "crippled" Windows auth in Home products, and was why I upgraded to Vista Business.

Just curious if you got it to work, and what you did to make that happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I checked over the weekend, and I don't currently have SSRS installed on my Vista machine (it's at home). If I remember correctly, even if you install IIS on Vista Home, it won't run correctly. It requires Business/Ultimate. I think it's intentionally blocked, because Home isn't supposed to be used as any sort of server.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/7/2008)

I checked over the weekend, and I don't currently have SSRS installed on my Vista machine (it's at home). If I remember correctly, even if you install IIS on Vista Home, it won't run correctly. It requires Business/Ultimate. I think it's intentionally blocked, because Home isn't supposed to be used as any sort of server.

Yup...That's the message I got. Just trying to make sure I didn't "miss" something...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I'm pretty sure XP Home (or whatever the version of XP that isn't "XP Pro" is called - man it's been a long time since I used that, can't even remember the correct name!), does the same thing.

Property of The Thread

• Use a VM if you need to. Grab an external drive, install Virtual Server and run SS2K5 in there.

• Also take a look at a TechNet Plus Direct subscription. This gives you all the MS server and office software for personal use. No time restrictions. It is the cheapest way to get Vista Ultimate, Office Ultimate, W2003 EE, W2008 EE, SQL 2005 EE, etc, etc. This costs about GBP £230 in year 1, and less after that.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Paraphrasing from a thread from July last year - hope this helps...

There are three versions of Vista that support the installation of SS2K5 including Reporting Services: Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Here is a MS article that gives a great step-by-step detail how to configure IIS prior to installing SS2K5 with RS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934164

There are lots of little settings that you need to make in "Turn Windows features on or off" in order for IIS to work & enable the install of RS on Vista.

Near the end of the article, it also describes workarounds for compatibility issues when using the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) in Windows Vista.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply