Installing SQL2005 : .net framework 2.0 beta installation problem

• I have tried to install SQL Server 2005. The first step is installation of the .net framework version 2.0 beta, which proceeds for a while until I get an error message saying that Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 has encountered a problem (unspecified) during setup. It stopped after updating the registry.

My OS is Win2000 Prof SP 4, with Framework1.1 and SQLServer 2000 SP 3a.

tnx.

• You could try running the .NET framework install independent of the SQL install. You can find the install for the .NET framework on the CD at \redist\2.0\dotnetfx.exe

• You could also try to uninstall Framework 1.1 before intalling SQL 2005 (including framework 2.0)

Carl

• Already tried to install independent : same error.

Also tried after uninstall og framework 1.1 : same problem.

• i couldn't find any reported bug that matched your situation but did frind this http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=31049

which may include help - haven't read it yet so don't know but it is worth a look 😉

cheers

dbgeezer

• Extract of the log, just before the rollback :

DDSet_Entry: RunProcess started

DDSet_Status: CustomActionData: "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\regtlibv12.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Microsoft.JScript.tlb";11

Action 8:55:11: RunProcess. Registering Type Library

RunProcess: Executing: "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\regtlibv12.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Microsoft.JScript.tlb"

RegisterTypeLib of C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Microsoft.JScript.tlb failed : 8002801c

DDSet_Status: Process returned 5

DDSet_Error: The Commandline '"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\regtlibv12.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Microsoft.JScript.tlb"' returned non-zero value: 5.

DDSet_CARetVal: 5

DDSet_Exit: RunProcess ended

Action ended 08:55:11: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

• Problem solved.

With regmon, I located a lot of registry key which had full access for the user 'system', but oly 'Read' for the 'administrator'. After changing the permissions for all these keys to 'Full control', it installed without problem.

The keys are located in the section HKCR/interface and HKCR/Typelib. The installation wanted to change the version. The version was 7.1. I think it was installed by an pre-beta version of Withbey (which has not fully been installed).

tnx.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply