Installing SQL Server 2019 as named instance on server running SQL Server 2017

• We have a Windows 2016 server running SQL Server 2017 right now.  One of the applications is ready to be upgraded but requires SQL Server 2019.  I was thinking of installing SQL Server 2019 as a named instance on this server and moving the db to it.  Has anyone done this type of thing?  Are there any issues or gotchas with this type of configuration?

I found this article and it is leaning to this isn't supported.  It looks to me like you can install a lower version of SQL Server but not a higher version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/work-with-multiple-versions-and-instances-of-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

• Hi,

I guess the main problem can be with some shared features. But still prefer to create a new server with a new SQL version.

I had also one issue with the install the older version, somehow was stopped SQL agent and was reload the old odbc driver. So I fixed with taking odbc driver from this new version from a different server what was there before and replace. Weird was that this agent looks like running, but if you stop there was a problem with a run again. And looks like somehow blocking. I spent almost day to find that is this odbc 😀

From this time I don't like to install old/new versions for the same server. But of course, I had this issue only one time.

• Hi Summer90,

There are quite a few acknowledgements and potential hurdles if you want to temporarily setup a side by side instance of SQL Server.  Side by side setup is one safer way of carrying out a SQL Server upgrade instead of doing an in place upgrade.  However, I've done lots of in place upgrades and have rarely ran into any issues as long as the SQL Server is a stand alone server and doesn't have much other abstract software installed.  Our servers are VM and only requires a VM snapshot before doing the in place upgrade.  If we ran into any trouble, we would just restore the VM from that saved snapshot.

1.  You'll have to split resources (cpu, ram, storage space) between the two instances if you don't plan on decommissioning the previous version soon.  That means your new instance may only operate half the capacity and if your end applications run into any performance issues, it'll be much harder to troubleshoot.
    2. All of the server objects and configurations will have to be replicated to the new instance.  Besides security logins, linked servers, jobs, etc... It's those small sql server configuration changes you'll have to worry about because those will be missed.
    3. Once you remove the old instance, you may find it convenient, especially your end users, to get rid of that instance name.  Changing your instance name back to the default could break connections if your upgrade instance has been running for a while.

That's pretty much it with my experience.

*** Please network with me and feel free to IM if you have any more DBA questions and concerns

https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-rossi-9094651b7/

james rossi
    Senior SQL Server DBA
    Senior Software Developer
    Alpha One Data
    Brain Box SQL Mobile DBA

• Thank you for your input.  We decided to go with a new server running 2019.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply