Installing SQL Server 2016 issue - No Instance Features

• Hello,

Trying to Install SQL Sever 2016 Standard edition on my server. When I run through the installation i can only install 2 shared features.See image1. When I install on my personal computer it installs fine... see image2.

Some background Info...

I already have SQL Server 2008 Express installed on the server. Does the issue lie with the Express Installation?

With a quick google search I found a link stating SQL Express can have up to 16 instances so i don't think the issue lies there... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10014765/sql2008-express-edition-two-instances-on-same-computer

Possibly you can't have SQL EXPRESS and SQL STANDARD on the same server?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Jamie Gaffney

Image1

Image2

• Jamie

You need to choose a different instance name for the new installation, even if you are installing different features.

John

• Thanks for the reply! I'm sure there wasn't even an option to enter an instance name. I think that is the next step after selecting the instance features but It won't give me the option to add the instance feature. I'll double check tomorrow though.

-EDIT-

Just to confirm, there is no option to change the Instance name... Only options are to specify product key, accept agreement then it skips to Feature select (Image1)

• Here is a discovery report of what is installed on the server. I still think the issue is something to do with SQL Express...?

• Is your server Windows 2008? Perhaps that limits the available feature set for SQL Server 2016? (Although I'd have thought you wouldn't get past the first couple of screens of the setup program.)

John

• Thanks John,

this was the issue! Not sure why i never received an error message when trying to install though.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/ms143506.aspx

Compatible OS

SQL Server StandardWindows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation

Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

Windows Server 2012 Standard

Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Windows Server 2012 Foundation

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Professional

Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Windows 8

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 8 Enterprise

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply