Installing SQL SERVER 2012 Developer Edition On Top of 2005 Editioon

• To ALL you MS MVP's who have so paitently tried (and succeded) to help me I want to express my profound THANKS.

I have discovered the Online Books and they are a big help in my understanding how this critter called MS Sql Server works, Or in my case, how it does not work like it is supposed to.

I have followed all the suggestions in the two previous posts by MVP's with the following results.

Grant Fitchey suggested that I change one letter from S to M, also tried the Local in parens, and also tried the .Local and the results are recorded in 4 of the attachments below.

Jeffery illiams suggested that I open "Configuration Manager" and the Configuration Manager is shown in an attachment.

I am studing the Online Help and MS SQL SERVER 2005 Implementation and Maintenance Training Kit. I know the certification period has passed but then I am evidently behing the times in understanding how this SERVER works.

I have also ordered: "Beginning SQL Server 2005 Administration"

Dan Wood; Paperback. Delivery estimate: Sept. 18, 2012 - Oct. 3, 2012. I plan to learn this Server even if it kills me. Thanks again for all the help. JRichards54 🙂

• In MCTS Exam 70-431, Chapter 2, Configuring Log and Data Files, Page 53, under "Before You Begin

to complete this chapter, you must have

SQL Server 2005 Installed.

A Connection to a SQL Server 2005 Instance.

A copy of the AdventureWorks sample database installed.

I have selected the feature of the "Sample Databases" during the install process and I am sure that this one is on my PC but since I do not have a connection to an Instance of a Server I am unable to connect to it or to complete the lessons in Chapter 2 or later chapters.

I note that I have migrated out of the "Grasshopper" stage. I don't know what these classifications mean but I am assuming that the current one is a step up from "Grasshopper". Thank you for the promotion and the encouragement. JRichards54 🙂

• FYI: When you try to connect to the Local instance, it's not supposed to be connected as MSSQLServer(Local). It's just (local).

But first you need to get your remote connections set up, otherwise you won't be able to connect VIA SSMS.

Navigate to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration. Under Database Engine is Remote Connections. Make sure that is set to Local and remote connectiosn and Using TCP/IP only or Using both TCP/IP and named pipes.

Then try to connect to MSSQLSERVER again.

Also, what did you set up as your service account? Was it the built-in admin account or your PC login or something different?

EDIT: More importantly, what account did you set up as your administrator account? Was it SA? Or was it your PC login?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Not MSSQLSERVER(local). Just:

(local)

And not MSSQLSERVER.(local). Just:

You might also try:

yourmachinename\MSSQLSERVER

Please, I don't mean literally "yourmachinename" but rather, the name of your windows machine. Just trying to be more clear.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Brandie Tarvin (9/17/2012)

FYI: When you try to connect to the Local instance, it's not supposed to be connected as MSSQLServer(Local). It's just (local).

But first you need to get your remote connections set up, otherwise you won't be able to connect VIA SSMS.

Navigate to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration. Under Database Engine is Remote Connections. Make sure that is set to Local and remote connectiosn and Using TCP/IP only or Using both TCP/IP and named pipes.

Then try to connect to MSSQLSERVER again.

Also, what did you set up as your service account? Was it the built-in admin account or your PC login or something different?

EDIT: More importantly, what account did you set up as your administrator account? Was it SA? Or was it your PC login?

Thank you Brandie Tarvin. I followed your suggestion concerning Surface Area Configuration and it is in atch 1. I then tried to connect to the server and the attempt is shown in atch 2. And here is the proof that I can now connect to the Server in atch 3. Hoorah!

I want Brandie, Jeffery, Grant, and the others who have helped me to know that my respect and admiration for MS MVP's just went up a few notches. You guys are super. You stuck with me even when I did not follow your advice exactly, when I used incorrect terms which caused you all much fustration (for which I have previously apoligized), and when I failed to report the results accurately.

My lessons learned are that anyone seeking help in these forums should be sure to follow the MVP's advice as accurately as you can and then report the results to them as accurately as you can. If you do this they will be in a better position to help you with your problem.

I believe with the book I have, with the Online Books, and with the book that I have ordered that I will be able to study and learn the SQL Server in's and out's.

Mil gracias para ayudarme, senores. JRichards54

• Glad we could help. Enjoy your learning.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Excellent. Glad to hear you're up & running.

Now, you're going to want SQL Agent to start automatically with your server. Time to get going on that.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply