Installing SQL removes permissions from drives

• Hi all

Here's one to scramble your heads.......

Our server team set up a VM with various drives and installed the O/S. All 4 drives had all the necessary permissions for me to access them to do the install.

I've installed SQL 2012 BI Edition using an ISO image (and all that went according to plan).

Now for the odd part.

After installing SQL, all the drives (except C: ) had their permissions removed and I couldn't access them.

Bizarrely, I could still create databases, tables, etc on the server using SSMS on my local machine.

Has anyone come across this before (and could you please shed some light on why it happens)?

• Either the image you installed from is seriously messed up (not likely), or it's a coincidence and something else was being done at the same time.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think we got the image from an MSDN subscription.

Looks like it will probably be coincidence then.

Thanks for the info.

• You could always set up another VM, install from the same ISO onto it, and see if the same thing happens again. That would be time-consuming, but it would at least tell you if you can repro the error. If you can, then it's worth investigating the ISO.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for that idea.

I'll have a word with our server/SAN team and see if they've got time to sort me out another server.

It'll be interesting to find out if it is the image (or if it's a bug with the server being on a VM).

• Solved it!

Apparently, if you set the path to the root of the drive, SQL tightens security automatically and removes the permissions. If you set up a folder and use that, it removes the problem.

Here's the info I got from the team that set up the server.

"on further investigation this issue is due to the fact that SQL tightens the ACL for default data/log directories to exclude broad access for all authenticated users. If the drive root is chosen as the default data/log location then SQL will tighten the root ACL and thus effectively locking down the whole volume. The recommended course of action is to always use a subdirectory to store SQL data/log files."

Just a little gotcha that SQL doesn't warn you about on install.

• Good to know.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply