Installing sql 2005 using "disk1" and "disk 2"

• Someone copied the contents of the sql 2005 cd's into folders caled "disk 1" and "disk 2" on a server.  On that server I can open "disk 1"and double-click setup.exe to get the ball rolling. But I'm concerned that the install process may require a file  in folder "disk 2" and may want to insert the physical CD.

Does the double-clicking "setup" in "disk 1" approach sound OK or would I be better off installing directy from  the CDs instead?

Barkingdog

• The setup will ask you to point to Disk2 folder.

Disk 2 contains Tools, BIDS, SSMS and Books online.

Alex S
  • We have built a single install folder for SQL Server 2005.

Stage 1 - Copy the contents of CD2 (The Tools folder on a DVD) to your install folder.

Stage 2 - Copy the contents of CD1 (The Servers folder on a DVD) to your install folder.  Allow the server components to replace any client components already in the install folder.

You can now install both client and server components in a single run of Setup.  It saves a lot of time and hassle.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Barkingdog - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM

Someone copied the contents of the sql 2005 cd's into folders caled "disk 1" and "disk 2" on a server.  On that server I can open "disk 1"and double-click setup.exe to get the ball rolling. But I'm concerned that the install process may require a file  in folder "disk 2" and may want to insert the physical CD.

Does the double-clicking "setup" in "disk 1" approach sound OK or would I be better off installing directy from  the CDs instead?

Barkingdog

• Barkingdog - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM

Someone copied the contents of the sql 2005 cd's into folders caled "disk 1" and "disk 2" on a server.  On that server I can open "disk 1"and double-click setup.exe to get the ball rolling. But I'm concerned that the install process may require a file  in folder "disk 2" and may want to insert the physical CD.

Barkingdog

ola

• EdVassie - Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:16 AM

We have built a single install folder for SQL Server 2005.

Stage 1 - Copy the contents of CD2 (The Tools folder on a DVD) to your install folder.

Stage 2 - Copy the contents of CD1 (The Servers folder on a DVD) to your install folder.  Allow the server components to replace any client components already in the install folder.

You can now install both client and server components in a single run of Setup.  It saves a lot of time and hassle.

• EdVassie - Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:16 AM

• darwinguaman2002 - Wednesday, June 6, 2018 9:33 PM

EdVassie - Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:16 AM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply