Installing RS possible?

• Right, I have taken a deap breath and counted to 1000000. I'm calm and cool again, although I am getting fed up with RS.

I'm trying to install Reporting Services Evaluation Edition. I have downloaded it, checked the prerequisites. A server with W2K + latest sp's is running, IIS5 with the latest patches is installed. I have downloaded AUTHZ.DLL and placed in the winnt\systems directory. Microsoft NT Framework 1.1 is installed. Visual Studio is NOT installed, since this is on a server and I do not wish to develop here. SQL Server 2000 is installed with the latest sp and patches.

Now, when I run setup for RS the second screen I get tells me:

System check result:

AUTHZ.DLL is not installed on this computer

ASP.NET is not installed or is not registered on this computer

Visual Studio .NET 2003 is not installed

What am I doing wrong?

Please?

Hans Brouwer,

Desperately seeking a solution...

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Have you run aspnet_regiis.exe to register ASP.Net with IIS?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Yes Phil, I found out about this utility later & used it succesfully. I would have thought that installing the .NET framework would register necessary components automatically.

The real bummer was the authz.dll. According to documentation it was to be installed in the winnt\systems dir. Did not work, I put it in the winnt\systems32 and now it works...

I got RS going, thanks.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Just copying the DLL to the system directory will not register it.  From a command line in the directory where you place a DLL, enter:

regsvr32 authz.dll

Fred Peters

• Fred,

Why is it then, that the dll does work when placed in winnt\system32 without registering?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Hans,

I guess I was thinking about COM DLLs.  DLLs that are called not using the COM interface do not have to be registered using regsvr.  I'm a little rusty here since I haven't done any desktop development in a while.

Fred Peters

• No harm done.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply