Installing a clustered SQL 2012 instance is extremely slow

• All I can say is on a busy server any SQL install, but especially a cluster install, can take a long time.

The SQL cluster install process does a lot of disk status checking, and fast execution time depends on fast IO to the disks. I do not know what process is used internally, but the performance profile makes me think Server Message Block calls (eg Named Pipes) may be used in some of the processes - SMB tends to add to any delays that might be encountered and is possibly why SMB was totally rewritten for Windows 2012.

Anyhow, for example I have found when testing SQL FineBuild that running a single SQL install where all files are targeted to a single physical disk may take 1 hour, running two simultaneously to the same physical disk may take 3 hours for them to complete, and running 3 simultaneously may take 6 hours to complete. If I run the same installs simultaneously but targeted at separate physical disks, then they all finish after maybe 1 hour 30 minutes. My desktop-based test environment does not reflect what an enterprise-quality server will do, but it does show that SQL install times can significantly increase if the server has a IO load.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (1/3/2014)

running two simultaneously to the same physical disk may take 3 hours for them to complete, and running 3 simultaneously may take 6 hours to complete. If I run the same installs simultaneously but targeted at separate physical disks, then they all finish after maybe 1 hour 30 minutes.

The issue Thierry has is with a clustered install, so it's 1 disk set 1 instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi guys,

yes, I'm adding 1 new instance that has 3 mount points (data, log, tempdb). There are already 8 2008R2 instances on that cluster. I'm installing on the passive node (which I rebooted first) and I'm installing outside office hours (maintenance window on Sunday morning).

I've installed around 50 instances like this in the past (SQL 2005, 2008, 2008R2) on different clusters (Windows 2003, 2008, 2008R2) and never had any issues like this. SQL 2012 installs fine but it takes hours to complete...

I tested this in a VM-environment on my laptop but didn't experience any issues. Of course the environment is very different.

I'll try Theo's tip (disabling CPU's) when I have to install a new instance in production (not foreseen in the near future though)

Regards

Thierry

• Hi again

been a while but just wanted to post an update, as promised.

I disabled all cores but 1 (per socket, so it left me with 2 CPU's) in the BIOS but to no avail. Still searching...

Chrz

Thierry

• Fresh install on Windows 2012 R2, building new cluster, default instance, it's taking several minutes between screen during the Install... starting when it asked for credentials. I did see in another forum that they were blaming it on the credentials for the service account not being a member of the local admin users. (And folks even mention that it's a best practice to NOT do this!) I'd play with the install more, but I've already investing an hour watching the screens and have a short schedule. *shrug*

Rich <- finally at the "Installation Progress" screen.

• Hi Rich,

I feel your pain 🙂

The last few days I've tried more stuff, one of which was using a config file and a quiet installation for the ADD NODE task. Took around 7 hours to complete. I still have another install to perform + all updates. This is very frustrating as officially I only have 4 hours on Sunday morning to accomplish these tasks 🙁

I opened an item on connect.microsoft.com but no replies yet.

On a side note, we recently installed a fresh 2 node Win2008R2 cluster (VM though) with 5 SQL 20012 instances. No issues. Btw, service accounts are plain user accounts, not member of local admins (as it should be)

Should I come up with a solution I'll sure post it here.

Chrz

Thierry

• Hi Thierry,

Did you find a solution to this issue?

Mat

• Hello Hayward,

no unfortunately not. We've come to a point at which we're not going to install new instances on this cluster anyway so I doubt we'll ever find what caused this.

Also, the connect item https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/839942/installing-sql-2012-fci-takes-8-hours-to-complete has a status of closed. Don't know why. So much for support from that end 🙁

I hope you eventually find a solution because I know how frustrating this is. If I ever find more info I'll update this post.

Chrz

Thierry

• Thanks Thierry appreciate the reply. If we find an answer I'll post it here.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply