Installation problem with SQL 2000 Dev

• I recently had to install IBM AS/400 client access program. Subsequently I installed a proprietary online banking system using Interbase.

Since then I have the following problems with SQL Server 2000 SP3a Dev edition:

In the MMC I can no longer Open a database file - I get "The query cannot be executed because some files are either missing or not registered. Run setup again to make sure the required files are registered"

And when Opening or Creating a new Package in DTS I get the informative "Error in the DLL".

There are no messages in Event Viewer. I have uninstalled/reinstalled SQL Server various times all to no effect. I have also uninstalled the two apps mentioned at the start.

Can someone please help me on this.

Many thanks

Jeremy Holt

Edited:

After posting this message I found a previous message on the forum saying that this was linked to the AS/400 Client-Express app. Has anyone got both EM and this program to work together??

• I swear that I've had this working before. We had all kinds of servers attaching to the AS/400, but perahsp the SQL tools were installed last. I'd try a reinstall of them. Dont' for get SPs.

• Steve,

I've tried everything - I uninstalled both EM and AS/400 client tools. When re-installing EM (i.e. no AS/400 on the disk) the error continues.

While not being able to open a table from within EM is not the end of the world, the real problem is not having access to DTS. Where would I turn to to find an easy way of scripting the tables, functions and stored procs from a remote server to my local server - I don't need the fancy options just a basic backup without the remote user logins?

Many thanks in advance for your comments

Regards

Jeremy Holt

http://www.amberwoodtrading.com

• I had a similar problem with one of my customers.  They were using an AS/400 and my software uses SQL Server 2000/MSDE 2000.

There is a known compatibility problem with IBM's client access for 95/NT and SQL Server.  This compatibility issue raises its ugly head on Win2K and XP systems. 

To correct the problem, you can install the newest version of client access or use a replacement for client access.  Our customer decided to use a 3rd party client access tool from bosanova instead.

I'm sorry that I can't point you to a specific web page, but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction.

George Mastros
    Orbit Software, Inc.

• I found IBM's web page that describes compatibility.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/supportedos.htm

Hope it helps.

George Mastros
    Orbit Software, Inc.

• George

Thanks very much for the link - I couldn't see anything specific relating to EM and the IBM client software.

I'm very new to this IBM world - we have just taken over a company and now have to use (for the time being) their systems running on the AS/400 - written in COBOL in 1990 and not updated since - its like going back to the dark ages!

The problem is that having installed the IBM client access (the full install off the CD) SQL Server 2000 is now irretrievably broken - even though I've uninstalled IBM-CA and reinstalled EM, all new installations of SQL Server remain broken.

All I need for the client access is an ODBC driver (so I can access the table from Vis Studio 2003 and the terrible green screen console program to access the remote server. I'll have a look at bosanova.

Again, many thanks for your help

Regards

Jeremy Holt

Amberwood Trading Ltd

• I had a similar problem and searched many hours for a solution.  This link provided a solution which worked for me.  http://dbforums.com/t544297.html

HTH

Bill Kerr

• Bill

Thanks v. much for your suggestion - unfortunately it didn't help.

What I did in the end was install Virtual PC 2004 and completely isolated the IBM Client Access.

Regards

Jeremy Holt

• Bill

Thanks v. much for your suggestion - unfortunately it didn't help.

What I did in the end was install Virtual PC 2004 and completely isolated the IBM Client Access.

Regards

Jeremy Holt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply