Installation of SS08 Dev Version failed

• Hi

Tried to install SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition on a WinXP SP2 what failed with errors. All prerequisites where green! While SS05 is installed on that machine too, I deinstalled the management tools and tried it again with the same effect.

A part of the log shows:

Slp: Running Action: Install_SSCESqlWbTools_Cpu32_Action

Slp: Target package: "D:\Download\MS\SS2008\x86\setup\SSCESqlWbTools.msi"

Slp: InstallPackage: MsiInstallProduct returned the result code 0.

Slp: RunMsiCore succeeded.

Slp: Checkpoint: INSTALL_SSCESQLWBTOOLS_CPU32_ACTION

Slp: Completed Action: Install_SSCESqlWbTools_Cpu32_Action, returned True

Slp: Action "Install_sql_ssms_Cpu32_Action" will return false due to the following conditions:

Slp: Condition "Validate feature dependencies for package: sql_ssms_Cpu32. The condition ensures that at least one of the features to be changed has its dependencies satisified." did not pass as it returned false and true was expected.

Finaly I installed the management tools on a clean (no SS installed befor) WinXP SP3, what worked.

Means that, it is impossible to have two or more version installed on one machine? How to find out which part makes the conflict?

Thanks for help

Jan

• What service pack level is SQL Server 2005 on? It may be you need to apply a service pack to upgrade the tools.

• I have SQL 2008 Server & Client installed on my XP SP3 (32-bit)

Also has SQL 2005 SSMS installed

Interesting though, usually it'll tell you what you are missing, prerequisites of SP's

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Updated now XP and SS05 to SP3, same error.

• which version of Dev edition is this? msdn, Volume license? I had the same problem with msdn and had to use the volume license edition to get it to install.

where abouts did the error happen?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply