Install SQL Server on separate drive?

• We are in the process of spec'ing out a new server to host our DW.  Is it common (or even necessary) to install sql server on a drive different from the OS?  The data files and logs will definitely be on separate drives, but we were unsure where SQL Server, itself, needed to be put.  If it is recommended that the software be loaded elsewhere, do we need to be concerned about drive speed (10K vs. 15K)?

Thanks!

• Hi Jon,

As you've mentioned, it is absolutely recommended to have the data and log files placed on separate drives. However, I can't seem to think of any particular reason to place the SQL 'Program Files' intentionally not on the system drive. For some organizations, it is considered "best practice" to place all 'Program Files' on a dedicated drive, separated from the OS drive, but this is purely for administrative reasons. So, this is more a question of how you want to design the install/server, rather then a specific requirement or recommended behavior.

HTH,

Yaniv

• If RAID 5 is used does this even matter if all drives are using it?

• Raid 5 is generally slower for writes, so I wouldn't recommend it for tempdb.

My server has the os on a raid 1,data on raid 10 and logs on raid 1.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply