Install SQL Server on Linux

• Can we install SQL Server (any version) on Linux machine.

If no why it is not designed in such a way that it can't be installed in other than windows.

Thanks!

• yuvipoy (11/21/2012)

Can we install SQL Server (any version) on Linux machine.

If no why it is not designed in such a way that it can't be installed in other than windows.

Thanks!

SQL Server can only be installed on a Microsoft Operating system, so you'd have to create a virtual environment in Linux running , say Windows XP, and then install SQL inside that environment.

as to why, well that's obvious... tying the two together allows them to provide a unified platform of systems for sale, instead of a piecemeal approach.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Can't be installed directly on Linux. Only on Windows.

Why? It's a Microsoft product, and they hate Linux with a passion. Ballmer called Linux a cancer: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/

If you need a Linux server with a database engine on it, check out PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, or a variety of others. Bing/Google "database linux server" and you'll find a ton of options and data.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• SQL Server can only be installed on a Microsoft Operating system, so you'd have to create a virtual environment in Linux running , say Windows XP, and then install SQL inside that environment.

as to why, well that's obvious... tying the two together allows them to provide a unified platform of systems for sale, instead of a piecemeal approach.

If i create a virtual environment in Linux running how do i access the virtual machine ,since all my input will be coming to my Linux machine how to pass that input to virtual machine , there is no point in having it right?

Thanks!

• yuvipoy (11/21/2012)

SQL Server can only be installed on a Microsoft Operating system, so you'd have to create a virtual environment in Linux running , say Windows XP, and then install SQL inside that environment.

If i create a virtual environment in Linux running how do i access the virtual machine ,since all my input will be coming to my Linux machine how to pass that input to virtual machine , there is no point in having it right?

Thanks!

If the Windows VM is running and networking for the VM is setup such that you can access the TCP port SQL Server is running on from the Linux OS then yes, there is a point. It means you can run code in Linux that talks to SQL Server running in the VM.

The question I have is, if you are interested in running Linux then why not use Postgres or another database engine that will happily run natively on Linux? Not that SQL Server is is not worth your effort, because it most certainly is, but why would you go to the trouble of setting it up in a VM on Linux if Windows is not a strategic enough move for you to run it as your OS?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply