Install SQL Server 2000 on Windows 10

• Joe-420121

Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Need to install SQL 2000 on Windows 10, and getting the following error on running set up, any advice, Please point to me to a right direction.
    Thanks for your time, Very much appreciated of your help and suggestions. Thanks.
    ========================================================
    Setup initialization error.,sqlsut.dll
    Target: 'C:\DOCUME~1\AMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SqlSetup\Bin\sqlsut.dll'
    ========================================================

• e4d4

SSCertifiable

You can't. Create virtual machine with supported by MSSQL 2000 OS, it will be Windows 2003 for (MSSQL 2000 SP3) and install there.

• Joe-420121

Hall of Fame

Thank you e4d4, very much appreciated of your help & support.

• Thom A

SSC Guru

I have to ask by WHY do you want to install SQL Server 2000? It hasn't been supported for a very long time. You should really be using more recent technology. Plus, using Windows 2003 server, or a similar dated OS, is just making the problem worse.

For example, none of these services/OS's would have been patched against Spectre or Meltdown, and I'm sure there are other similar vulnerabilities that still exist on those old editions as well. Using something like as old as that brings huge security flaws into the mix.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.

• Joe-420121

Hall of Fame

Hello Thom,
    I totally agree to your comments, I am working with customer having still SQL 2000/ 7 as well, Working hard to migrate them. Meanwhile need to support, Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Only your fingers NOT able to co-operate faster enough to your speedy brain 🙂 🙂
    Thanks for your time, Very much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply