Install on a Notebook?

• Hello.  Is it possible to install SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition from the CD into a Notebook type device with Windows 10 S, 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC?

• Well... With Secure Mode, can I turn it off?  What's the recommended Microsoft SQL Server install for Secure Mode?

• A 32GB disk is pretty small for sharing both Windows and SQL Server.  Plus 4 GB of RAM is pretty low for SQL and Windows to play nice.

To install SQL Server you likely need to get out of Secure Mode.  Quick google should tell you how to do that.  First link brought me this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/360007/how-to-leave-windows-10s-s-mode/

which explains it.

That being said, I would discourage you from installing SQL Server on such light resources.  4 GB of RAM and 32GB eMMC drive is not going to be a good environment for SQL Server.  I am expecting a lot of lag on both the SQL side and the tools connecting to it.  Plus a lot of paging to disk which doesn't have that much room to begin with.  Windows hardly fits on a 32GB disk.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thanks for your reply.  I will buy a desktop.  I only need to use it for study, so 4GB RAM will be OK.  You are right about the storage and secure mode, though.  It will be too small.  I used to run it on a laptop, so higher storage will be good.

'Windows hardly fits on a 32GB disk.'

Thanks for that.

• My laptop that I grabbed for cheap came with 6 GB of RAM and a 64GB disk.  Got it new and first thing I did was install the latest windows upates.  After installing the latest windows feature pack, which creates a backup of Windows, the 64 GB disk had 2 GB free.  Cleaned up the backup of windows and had roughly 34 GB free, but you need to have about 32 GB of  free space to do windows updates successfully.  A 32 GB disk is just going to be a pain in the behind going forward.  Even my 64 GB disk is too small in my opinion.  Put Windows and Office on there and you may not be able to do windows updates anymore.

Thankfully my laptop supports M.2 so picked up a cheap 256 GB disk and then have a USB disk for anything non-Microsoft.  I say "non-Microsoft" because most Microsoft tools will misbehave if you install them on a non-C drive.  Office NEEDS to be installed on C.  One thing I tried to do was to create a symbolic link for Program Files onto an external disk.  Thought Windows wouldn't care as long as the USB drive was in at boot time and I never removed the disk.  Bit of a pain to create that and get things set up but was happy as Office ran... BUT I couldn't install office updates.

Long and short of it - if you buy a laptop, make sure to get one with at LEAST 64 GB of disk (preferably more) OR has a way to install an additional disk (M.2 or SATA) or be prepared for headaches.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply