install default (un named) instance after named instance

• Are there any performance / configuration issues with installing a default instance after installing a named instance on SQL2k5 64 bit standard on win2k3 64 bit platform?

I know that the directories in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL. will be reversed where MSSQL.1 is the named instance and MSSQL.2 will be the default instance and that needs to be well documented. Other than that are there any issues?

Glad to have a place like this to ask questions like this instead of flying blind or spending hours/days researching BOL

'nix

'nix

• phoenixrising1599 (6/12/2008)

Are there any performance / configuration issues with installing a default instance after installing a named instance on SQL2k5 64 bit standard on win2k3 64 bit platform?

I know that the directories in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL. will be reversed where MSSQL.1 is the named instance and MSSQL.2 will be the default instance and that needs to be well documented. Other than that are there any issues?

Glad to have a place like this to ask questions like this instead of flying blind or spending hours/days researching BOL

'nix

Well, it's obviously going to use additional memory/cpu even when idling. When running multiple instances, depending on the traffic, you may want to set affinity masking per instance to allow each instance exclusive access to different cpu's. That and you may want to set your min and max server memory settings appropriately to avoid contention on memory.

Really it all comes down to how busy each instance is, their purposes, and your available resources.

• Not sure I even answered what you were asking ... are you simply asking if there is anything to be concerned about when installed a default (non named) instance on a server which already has an instance? If that is the question, no, nothing to worry about. Yet depending on environment ... I'd say stick with an instance naming convention ... at least in my experience, it always prove to be better.

• Thanks Adam,

You answered the question well. I had always thought that setting the min and max was a good idea as well but was reading an article by Brad McGehee, who's advice I trust, that stated that leaving it alone was best. I believe that he must have had a single default instance in mind though as letting it be managed dynamically with multiple instance seems like a bad idea given the way SQL gets a grip on memory and doesnt let it go...

I was only concerned though about the issues you stated in your second post, if this was a bad idea, would SQL care if you installed a named instance first. Good thing as now I dont have to uninstall and start over.....but it never, ever hurts to ask questions unless you know 100% for sure when building out new servers and migrating database to a new production environment.

'nix

'nix

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply