Inside The Question of the Day

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Inside The Question of the Day

• I have a great deal of sympathy for you Steve. A long, long time ago I wrote a training program for new recruits at my company, and had to design 4 exams to monitor progress. Coming up with a list of topic areas was easy, just as flicking through BOL is easy, but to write a question which tests a specific area of knowledge, and then write several wrong answers as well, is suprisingly hard work.

In particular, I found it hard to "grade" the question, to give it a difficulty level. I might know the answer already, or have to research the correct answer - does that make the question easy or hard?

Having said that, when I have some spare time I will try and come up with some new questions for you....

Andy

• Steve,

Thank you. I use this site as a source for information frequently and find it very helpful. I am new to the forum and enjoy reading QOD daily. I appreciate Hugo's reply's as informative and Shaun's reply's for humor, so the poor questions have actually helped build community, in some ways. I like earning the points, and look forward to the challenge. I am guilty of submitting short reply's for points, but usually learn something from other's posts in the process. The perpective of having a global community review a question/answer opens the door to new ways of thinking for me.

Would it be possible to refer to questions from Microsoft SQL Certification exam as a source of content? Or possibly, contact some college institutions for academic input? Perhaps, professors could give points to students for submitting QOD.

• Steve as one who has suggested a review panel, let me say it was without knowledge of what you and others have done in the past, for that I apologize. I have submitted a total of two questions ,both accepted, and I shall endeavor further to compose more questions following your guidelines. And yes, like others I believe that I have learned a great deal from the QOD and have had fun at the same time. Between researching BOL, Technet and MSDN looking for the elusive answer to the QOD I have come across other areas which have perked my interest and found myself reading those and I hope learning more than just the QOD answer. Again thanks for your explanation.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Most of the time, I find the QotD at least interesting. I have a personal policy of not looking it up before I try to answer it, but I do look up the ones that I get wrong or have to guess on (even if I guess right, I still look it up).

On the recent ones that have had problems, I have to admit I've been one of the people who complained. My goal on that is not to belittle you (Steve) or anyone else, but to make sure anyone new to SQL Server doesn't end up with false data in their head about how something works. (I have to admit, I find it amusing watching the page-count grow on these ones.)

I like the idea of a review board for the questions. I can definitely help on that, if you resurect the concept. Either way, I'll see if I can submit a few good questions to you.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve,

I look forward to your QOD every day, not so much to see how much I know, but how much I DON'T know!! As a developer, I know T-SQL far better than other aspects of SQL, and like to see topics that help me learn more.

Thanks so much for continuing to provide not only the QOD, but the articles in the newsletter. There are a lot of really smart SQL experts out there, but I would never have the time to find all these great articles on my own.

• Thanks for the article, Steve. This is definitely one of those "easier said than done" jobs.

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Thanks for the note and I'll keep writing if you keep answering.

No apologies needed, though they are appreciated. I know most of you just want things to be better. The article today was really there just to explain how things work and what's happened with the QOD, not really to rant or ask you to stop complaining. Not that I like complaints, but I try to take them as criticism of the job done that day and make things better.

• I'm one of those members that sporadically takes a shot at the QOD, not because I think I know the answer, but because I'd LIKE to know the answer. This site has helped me learn a lot about SQL and its tools over the last several years (though I still feel like a "newbie", since we're still transitioning off of old technologies). Sometimes I just jump in and see if I can determine the answer from those given, but other times I research the question first. I always end up learning something from it.

Having edited a local club newsletter for three years, I know how much work it is to keep something like this going, and when you have to come up with content on a daily bassi, WOW! Steve, you do great work so keep it up. The other two articles just from today look like they're pertinant to some work we're doing (I'll be reading them next - shows you where my priorities are! 😀 )

The "months with an 'a' " question, even though some people had issues with it, reminded me personally of something I need to watch for - making assumptions! Yes, I got it wrong, because instead of looking up a simple function: DateName. (Although I see Steve has given me the point, I don't feel I deserve it because I assumed it returned a three-character month indicator; but Steve, don't feel a need to take that point back! :hehe: ) You see, some days I need to slow down, and check more carefully. The QOD helps me do that, whether I get it right or wrong.

So THANKS, Steve. Sometimes you help in more ways than you know.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• I have a question on the Questions of the Day: Should I limit the complexity of the question by any arbitrary means? Like a specific word-count or anything like that? I'm looking at submitting some questions, and don't want to waste time by breaking any rules I don't know.

Actually, is there a list of the rules for them somewhere? I looked briefly, but I didn't find rules or a specific submission procedure. Am I just missing it?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• As bitbucket said “learning more than just the QOD answer”. I do see quite a few questions give me better understanding of specific area from both answers, no matter they are right or not, and comments.

I tried QOD submit system earlier but have not submitted a QOD yet. I thought it is an automatic system to collect the questions. After reading your article, I realized that there are a lot of dedicated works behind the scene.

You are doing good considering how many bugs SQL server has. 😉

• I'm not exactly sure what the limitations are. We publish as HTML, so you have to be aware of that. We can take code in the question, use the code format in the editor. The answers are single sentences, so fairly small. Can't really fit in a bunch of code there. We can take single answers or "select all that apply", but not either/or answers.

If you submit something, I'll work with you to see it gets published.

• As a former newsletter publisher I understand the difficulty in coming up with new and interesting ideas on a routine basis, much less a new and interesting question each and every day. Keep up the good work, Steve. I never even realized that I was supposed to complain when I don't know the answer.:cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious." - George Bernard Shaw

• I enjoy the QOD and would like to offer a suggestion.

Could you add a link to bypass answering the question & go straight to the discussion? Of course, you would lose the opportunity to answer or get any points, but sometimes none of the answers appear to be correct. It would be nice to see the correct answer, explanation, and the discussions that follow. The QOD would remain a learning tool for those who would simply like to view & discuss the question. This could eliminate a lot of the "give me back my points" grumblings about the questions.

• GSquared (4/8/2008)

I have a question on the Questions of the Day: Should I limit the complexity of the question by any arbitrary means? Like a specific word-count or anything like that? I'm looking at submitting some questions, and don't want to waste time by breaking any rules I don't know.

Actually, is there a list of the rules for them somewhere? I looked briefly, but I didn't find rules or a specific submission procedure. Am I just missing it?

considering I just submitted my first one a few days ago, I'm no expert as to the rules pertaining to content. However - submission happens through the "contribution center", which you access from the "my account" screen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply