Inserting value in existing record by condition

• Hi All,

I have a situation here for inserting one value in my existing record. here is the situation:

ID Col1 Col2 Col3

A12 NULL NULL A12.htm

A34 NULL NULL A34.htm

A56 A90 NULL A56.htm

A78 NULL NULL A78.htm

A90 NULL A56 A90.htm

I have a form to insert the record, where some time user have to select the value for Col2, In this situation If the Col2 receive any value then I want to insert the ID of that record in Col1 infront of the same value which the user has selected for Col2 (As mentioned above).

Value for Col2 can only selected from a drop down existing record. That means user can only insert the value in Col2 from the existing record.

i hope that experts understand what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.

• No - don't understand what you are asking. Please read the following article and re-post your question:

Best Practices: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• As far as I understood your problem,

1. you need insert a record

2. you need to update the record according to the SELECTED ID

whats the problem in it...?

say, user Inserts record 'A101',NULL, 'A34','A101.htm'

After Inserting this record, you need to update the ID 'A34'

Update YourTable

Set Col1 = 'A101'

Where ID = 'A34'

if you are worried about the IDs, you calready have the ID 'A34' (as it has been selected from your form)

Another ID is 'A101'. Now this depends upon your PK generation logic. You have to have it in a variable while you are INSERTING the record.

I hope it will help you.

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• As per my understanding what you have to do is create an Update trigger on your table, where you have build a logic to update col1

if Col2 is updated then take the record from inserted & deleted tables. and update inserted Col2 (value) record with deleted ID. You can get the Col2 recordID from inserted table and ID recordID from deleted table.

• Thanks to all. I already solved the issue by using insert and update. Before I was just using the insert statement. it was really very simple, as mentioned by you guys.

Thanks a lot for help.

• Glad you got it...:D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply