Inserting fails when importing flat file to SQL Server

• You cannot vote on your own post

Package fails when importing data from flat to SQL Server

Number of columns in Flat File

ProductID,Name,ProductNumber,MakeFlag,FinishedGoodsFlag,Color,SafetyStockLevel,ReorderPoint,StandardCost

Table structure in SQL Server

[ProductID] [int] NULL,

[Name] [nvarchar](50) NULL,

[ProductNumber] [nvarchar](25) NULL,

[MakeFlag] [bit] NULL,

[FinishedGoodsFlag] [bit] NULL,

[Color] [nvarchar](15) NULL,

[SafetyStockLevel] [smallint] NULL

Used derived column to convert the data types

MakeFlag1 <add as new column> MakeFlag == "False" ? "0" : "1" Unicode string [DT_WSTR] 1

FinishedGoodsFlag1 <add as new column> FinishedGoodsFlag == "False" ? "0" : "1" Unicode string [DT_WSTR] 1

SafetyStockLevel1 <add as new column> (DT_I2)SafetyStockLevel two-byte signed integer [DT_I2]

Mapped the data types correctly in OLE DB destination.I am getting error message in the case of 'SafetyStockLevel' . As far i know everything has been done properly here what could be the issue.Please correct me if i am going wrong any where. Please find the error message as below

Error: 0xC0049064 at Data Flow Task, Derived Column [58]: An error occurred while attempting to perform a type cast.

Error: 0xC0209029 at Data Flow Task, Derived Column [58]: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_INDUCEDTRANSFORMFAILUREONERROR. The "component "Derived Column" (58)" failed because error code 0xC0049064 occurred, and the error row disposition on "output column "SafetyStockLevel1" (83)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

Error: 0xC0047022 at Data Flow Task, SSIS.Pipeline: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_PROCESSINPUTFAILED. The ProcessInput method on component "Derived Column" (58) failed with error code 0xC0209029 while processing input "Derived Column Input" (59). The identified component returned an error from the ProcessInput method. The error is specific to the component, but the error is fatal and will cause the Data Flow task to stop running. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure

• Looks like a data conversion error. Can you confirm there are no lines in the file where that field is empty? You may want to change your derived column expression to something like:

SafetyStockLevel == "" ? 0 : SafetyStockLevel

If you continue to have issues you might think about redirecting the error rows to a file somyou can inspect them.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• After debugging found issue if SafetyStockLevel is less than double digit

This is how the data should be inserted in the destination table

ProductID Name ProductNumber MakeFlag FinishedGoodsFlag Color SafetyStockLevel

716 Long-Sleeve Logo Jersey, XL LJ-0192-X 0 1 Multi 4

When i upload the flat file as source

and when i preview the data,this is how the data looks

ProductID Name ProductNumber MakeFlag FinishedGoodsFlag Color SafetyStockLevel

716 Long-Sleeve Logo Jersey XL LJ-0192-X 0 1 Multi,4

We have around 54 records to deal with. What should be the approach . I was thinking about using SQL queries to correct the data

• To have more clarification destination table should look like

ProductID ->716

Name->Long-Sleeve Logo Jersey, XL

ProductNumber->LJ-0192-X

MakeFlag>0

FinishedGoodsFlag->1

Color->Multi

SafetyStockLevel->4

and when i preview the data,this is how the data looks

ProductID ->716

Name->Long-Sleeve Logo Jersey

ProductNumber->XL

MakeFlag>LJ-0192-X

FinishedGoodsFlag->0

Color->1

SafetyStockLevel-> Multi,4

• please send me any body has script for this scenario

• Embedded commas in the data are problematic for SSIS.

Here is a good thread to read up on the issue:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1092764-148-1.aspx#bm1194909

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply