Insert without a PK

• Oppps - I think we need to wait to MST (Mountain Standard Time) gets to work to find out what happened.

• OK -- so the question is clearly missing something. Here's what I tried: Create the table as given, then disable the PK:

CREATE TABLE SalesArchive

(

Salesid INT PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED

, SalesPersonID INT

, SaleDate DATETIME2

, SaleTotal NUMERIC(12, 4)

);

GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX SalesArchive_CI_SalesPersonID ON dbo.SalesArchive(SalesPersonID) ;

GO

ALTER INDEX PK__SalesArc__C953FF0BED0DD138 ON [dbo].[SalesArchive] DISABLE;

GO

INSERT dbo.SalesArchive

( Salesid

, SalesPersonID

, SaleDate

, SaleTotal

)

VALUES

( 1, 1, GETDATE(), 25.10 );

INSERT dbo.SalesArchive

( Salesid

, SalesPersonID

, SaleDate

, SaleTotal

)

VALUES ( 1, 1, GETDATE(), 25.12 );

Result:

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Now, truncate the table, disable the clustered index as well and try again:

TRUNCATE TABLE [dbo].[SalesArchive];

GO

ALTER INDEX SalesArchive_CI_SalesPersonID ON [dbo].[SalesArchive] DISABLE;

GO

INSERT ...

Result:

Msg 8655, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

The query processor is unable to produce a plan because the index 'SalesArchive_CI_SalesPersonID' on table or view 'SalesArchive' is disabled.

However, since we can't tell what Steve really meant, it is really not possible to answer the question properly.

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/9/2015)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/questions/T-SQL/126632/">Insert without a PK</A>

Yeah, um, i still may have been wrong, but if the question had been complete it would have helped.

• 1st answer WAS the correct answer. I tested it after I got it wrong. There is nothing in any of this about disabled indexes. Are you missing some code?

2 points please.

• I could successfully able to Insert a record which had a "saleTotal" of 25.1000.

Thanks.

• On my system the first insert worked,. the second fail for constraint violation and neither index was disabled... what gives Steve?

Tom in Sacramento - For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Bobby Russell (6/10/2015)

1st answer WAS the correct answer. I tested it after I got it wrong. There is nothing in any of this about disabled indexes. Are you missing some code?

2 points please.

It's not the correct answer. The 1st script says that you get an error on the first script. As they are currently written, none of the answers are correct.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm confused. When I ran these scripts, I got one row inserted and the second insert threw an error caused by a duplicate key.

• Mike Hays (6/10/2015)

Oppps - I think we need to wait to MST (Mountain Standard Time) gets to work to find out what happened.

+1

• RK Mandava (6/10/2015)

Mike Hays (6/10/2015)

Oppps - I think we need to wait to MST (Mountain Standard Time) gets to work to find out what happened.

+1

Except on on Tuesdays. 😛

• Looks like I should have just closed out the window instead of trying to answer this one since there was obviously something missing from the script. I imagine we will see points awarded back tomorrow.

• Maybe there was a line missing about disable?

For me (version 10.50.6000) the first was inserted and the second failed with the message:

Msg 2627, Level 14, State 1, Line 17

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__SalesArc__C953FF0B2E1BDC42'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.SalesArchive'. The duplicate key value is (1).

The statement has been terminated.

• Apologies. The disable statement is missing in the code.

Points awarded back and the question corrected.

• I agree the question as written has had no correct answers.

I approached this like I do issues in my systems where sometimes you don't have all the information as to why code was written a certain way or why something is acting weird.

The key to getting this one right is the clue in the Question Title "Insert without a PK". Couple that with Steve's other Cluster key disable question, I surmised that Steve intended to disable the Cluster Key, thus disabling the Non-Clustered PK as well.

With that information the "...query processor..." answer was the best option.

It also helps that I have a crystal ball that told me the correct answer. 😀

J DBA

• I used my Magic 8 Ball and it wasn't anywhere near as helpful.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply