Insert row with text column

• I noticed in a stored procedure that an insert statement is being used to insert a new row of which one column is a text column. No writetext is done, the text string is just one of the parameters in the insert statement. Is this possible in SQL2000 and if so, does sqlserver process this the same as when a writetext is used? Also, the option 'text in row' on this table is turned off. We often have problems with locks on this table - could this be related to the cause of our problem.

• Yes it is possable.

it must be creating the textptr for you under the covers. so processing would be very similar.

could this be related to the cause of our problem?

well yes, but there are a lot of other things that can cause locking problems. the fact that a writetext is not used, is not going to cause a lock problem. if you are passing in huge amounts of data that way it very well could be adding to the problem.

I have tested passing in 2399000 chars successfuly this way, but I would not do it that way.

From BOL

quote:

The DB-Library dbwritetext and dbmoretext functions and the ODBC SQLPutData function are faster and use less dynamic memory than WRITETEXT. These functions can insert up to 2 gigabytes of text, ntext, or image data.

Edited by - lawrencek on 10/13/2003 10:44:18 AM

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply