Insert Performance - does sql have a max throughput per thread?

• Trying to copy a table over linked server using query below. The problem is it takes about the same time copying this table at 10 MB/sec disk throughput. Upgraded to faster disks (ssd) but still the time to transfer remained same as it was writing at 10 MB/sec.

Insert into call_usage_new with (tablock) select * from linkedserver.db.dbo.call_usage

What setting needs to be changed or should I use any additional options/different driver with the linked server to increase throughput.

However, if I parition the table and split it into two, each thread writes at 10 MB/sec and I am able to load twice fast, so overall the disks can keep up with this load.

Nothing else runs on either boxes during the loads and no indexes on target.

Thanks.

• Could it be the network, rather than the disc(s)? Considering this is a linked server, I assume that the location of the data is from a different host, so perhaps the problem is the speed the data is transferring over the LAN/WAN? Just a wild guess though.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Both the servers support data transfers upto 2 gbps on the NICs and there is an 8 gig pipe between them. If something like QOS is enabled I dont know but can confirm. Other than asking someone from network team, is there any specific way I can confirm this?

When I do a disk IO test on target it exceeds 1024 MB/sec write speeds by using a test file that simulates a typical sql workload.

IS sequential throughput a factor of IOPS times the bytes per transfer (network packet size)? Although the second disks have 4 times as much IOPs capacity so throughput should still have quadrupled (in theory)

• You need to review wait stats and run performance counters on your server to identify where the bottleneck is. 10MB/s disk thoughput doesn't mean SQL is only capable of that, it could be that it is only receiving 10MB/s from the network to write to disk, or you could be CPU constrained so only 10MB/s of data is ready to be written to disk.

Use something like sp_whoisactive to check the waits while the insert is executing and start troubleshooting from there.

• I used to have similar situation with linked server. Later we implement SSIS solution and observed significant performance gain. 
    I suggest go for SSIS.

ThanksSaurabh.D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply