Input form to populate SQL table.

• Hi

I'm using SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services. I need to create a table that a user can edit that I can then use in a query, it needs to be a live link. I can think of 3 ways I can do it,

1. MS Access, I have done it but because we only have Access 97 I've been discouraged from continuing to use it (management!) and therefore must find another solution without buying a newer MS Access.

2. Excel, in theory quite simple but I've tried every solution I can find on the web but I can't get the client machine to run the resulting query/report. - Probably a bad way of doing it anyway.

3. html or xml forms?? Here's where I get stuck, is there a way of building a form from within reporting services?

All the forums and technology names are somewhat confusing when you don't know what you are looking for so I don't even know where to start, I'm sure there are many possible solutions (btw we don't have InfoPath, or VB). If anybody out there is feeling generous please could you point me in the right direction for a solution?

A tiny little clue would be a help!

Thanks.

• Probably the simplest solution would be VB.NET. Express edition is free to download from Microsoft's web pages, but will only connect to SQL Express (if I'm not mistaken). Otherwise, it's going to cost a bit of money for a copy of Dev Studio.

Access is a good way to build an easy-to-build front-end for SQL, but if you can't upgrade, you don't want to do that.

There are free dev studios for some languages, but I'm afraid I'm not familair enough with them to recommend one. Browse CNET.com for that kind of thing. That's usually a good place to start, anyway.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Where will this data be held? I would assume it is going into SQL Server 2005 but your description of the issue makes me wonder.

You can use access, excel, or all manner of wierdness to collect data and post it onto SQL. Access 97 will do this just fine, and, if you need to distribute a front-end to multiple data writers, you can buy the developer edition for about $5.00 on eBay. This is not a recommendation, but could be made to work.

A better method is to build a web page. Your technical colleagues will be happy to help, if you have them, or you can learn enough .ASP to do the job, online, for free, and in only a few days.

If your management do not want to invest a miserly couple of hundred bucks in software, you should get a new job. They will not invest in you or your career, so leave now.:w00t:

• Thanks guys,

That's given me a few more clues where to start, ASP.net probably.

• Hi Jona,

I would use Visual Studio, you'll want to make sure you have the BI package installed which will include the reporting services.

Here are some steps that I hope will get you started.

1. Create a new Business Intelligence project -Report Server Project

2. Add a New Item -Report

3. Add a New Service Explorer Connection and connect to your db

4. Create your input controls in your report

5. Bind your objects to your report

6. Deploy -you;ll need access to a report server

Here's a tutorial.

http://www.idautomation.com/reporting_services/forms-control-barcode.html

Or you can create an ADO.NET app too.

Here's a good example to get you started: http://www.functionx.com/adonet/applications/cpasvc.htm

A free dev app I would recommend is, MS Visual Web Devloepr 200 Express.

I hope this helps!

Michelle 🙂

• If you have Office 2007 Pro there's a new tool called Infopath to make forms.

Good Luck

Alberto De Rossi
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate - SQL Server
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Power BI User Group Lima - Community Leader

• SQL Serer OLAP how to migrate to Azure studio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply