inplace upgrade of 2008R2 SP3 Standard to 2017 Standard - Auth Error in WMI?

• This is a 2 Node FCI on Windows Server 2012 R2.  Let's call the nodes A and B.  Node A at the time I started the upgrade was Active and Node B was passive.  I upgraded node B with no problems and the report shows Success.  I moved on to Node A and I can't upgrade it.  It comes back reporting a problem with WMI on node B.  "Node B" fails Cluster_IsWMIServiceOperational, but "Node A" passes (I am running this on/trying to upgrade) Node A.  Here are the relevant lines from the report:

UpgradeGlobalRules: SQL Server 2017 Setup configuration checks for rules group 'UpgradeGlobalRules'

Cluster_IsWMIServiceOperational Checks whether the WMI service is running on the cluster because Setup is dependent on this service. Failed The WMI service is not running on the cluster node.

ServerCoreBlockUnsupportedSxSCheck Checks if an earlier version of SQL Server is currently installed. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.

AclPermissionsFacet Checks if the SQL Server registry keys are consistent. Passed SQL Server registry keys are consistent and can support SQL Server installation or upgrade.

Cluster_DNS_Consistency_Rule Checks if the DNS search list on computer "Node A" is consistent with the other nodes of a cluster. Passed The computer is not clustered or the DNS search list on computer "Node A" matches the other nodes.

Cluster_DNS_Consistency_Rule Checks if the DNS search list on computer "Node B" is consistent with the other nodes of a cluster. Passed The computer is not clustered or the DNS search list on computer "Node B" matches the other nodes.

Cluster_IsOnlineIfClustered Verifies that the computer is not clustered or that the computer is clustered and the cluster service is online. Passed The computer is either not clustered or the cluster is up and online.

Cluster_IsWMIServiceOperational Checks whether the WMI service is running on the cluster because Setup is dependent on this service. Passed The WMI is running on the cluster node.

FacetDomainControllerCheck Checks whether the computer is a domain controller. Installing SQL Server 2017 on a domain controller is not recommended. Passed This computer is not a domain controller.

FusionRebootCheck Checks if a computer restart is required because of broken fusion ATL. A pending restart can cause SQL Server Setup to fail. Passed The computer does not require a restart.

Here is the bootstrap log (I can't remember if this is summary or detail):

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Error while retrieving the WMI Service details on machine "Node B"; Error is as follows System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.Rules.WMIServiceFacet.WmiServcieCheck()

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Access denied while retrieving the cluster WMI namespace on machine "Node B"; Error is as follows System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.Rules.WMIServiceFacet.ClusterWmiCheck()

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Rule 'Cluster_IsWMIServiceOperational' detection result: WMI Operational Results WMIServiceIsInstalled =False; WMIServiceIsRunning =False; OSWorkingCheck =False; ComputerSystemWorkingCheck =False; ProcessorWorkingCheck =False; ClusterWMIWorkingCheck=False; on Machine "Node B"

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Evaluating rule : Cluster_IsWMIServiceOperational

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Rule running on machine: "Node B"

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Rule evaluation done : Failed

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Rule evaluation message: The WMI service is not running on the cluster node.

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Send result to channel : RulesEngineNotificationChannel

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Saving results to datastore...

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Saved to directory.......C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20240219_204906\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20240219_204906\resources

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20240219_204906\resources, security descriptor

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to set security descriptor for directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20240219_204906\resources, security descriptor

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Sco: SDDL is NULL/empty and overwriteSecurityDescriptor is false, so nothing to do, return.

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Generating HTML report by applying XsltTransformation and saving to Log folder...

(26) 2024-02-20 15:15:50 Slp: Rules evaluation report is available now at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20240219_204906\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

I have been trying for days to figure this out.  Everything I find out there, I tried to no avail.

I also tried to fail this over to Node B thinking I could remove Node A and reinstall and put it back in, but it failed to move.  One strange thing I found was that Node B wasn't listed as an owner of the SQL Name resource (Node B is in potential owners of the whole role) and I didn't know if that was normal (but I think not) and I didn't know if I should add it or if I should even try to fail over at this point.

I did find that if I shutdown Node B, the install pre-check on Node A passes and I don't know if going ahead and forcing an install that way is a safe option.

TIA.  If anyone has any insight, that would be awesome.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• For anyone else who had this problem, I updated the OS to the very latest security updates and the problems went away.  The updates were some of those generic security update patches and the .NET 4.8 update.  I don't know what actually fixed it but I was able to complete the upgrade and everything is running smoothly and failover is working fine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply