Information Technology has too little Turnover ?

• I was reading Database Weekly Update and came across this one 'Information Technology has too little Turnover ?' http://www.careers.eweek.com/article/IT+Might+Be+Too+Good+at+Employee+Retention/217587_1.aspx

Even Steve made the following comments

"It's a catchy title and the article contradicts itself slightly in that they mention too much retention in some areas and too little in others."

I certainly don't agree with that. Where did that author (Deborah Perelman) live and where did she work?

She may have a great job and I want to know which company so I can apply :Wow:

:hehe:

• Hi Loner...

I'd almost bet that Deborah isn't even in IT... she's probably just a reporter making an observation. I don't see where she said "my company" anywhere.

As for the article itself, it's everyone's job to keep up with technology... even us old guys know that (especially us old guys 😀 ) Best of both worlds is to have a good mix of long term employees and a couple of positions filled exclusively by consultants. No lost learning... no getting stuck in a rut.

How's the job search going, anyway?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Not very good. Since I can't go out of town to look for a job right now. One of contracting company offered me $25/hour for sql developer. That was insane. Nowadays the company is very choosy, also most of them requires .net experience or some data warehouse tools experiences for example business object, cognos. I am still waiting.

• Heh... yeah, I've been through that. But I will give you a tip in the form of an old proverb... "Wait not, want not". I busted my hump when the company I was working for got rid of the higher priced spread and got a job that I actually like in about 40 days. Yep... I know... there was some luck involved... but that luck wouldn't have happened unless I was out there everyday. I made my job search my new "job" until I got one... I did something to find a new job every single day. It works! Kept me from getting depressed, too!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Well - it's an interesting article, but does seem to miss covering a LOT of issues/concerns. For example - part of the "aging staff" would be the mainframe programmers, which can be almost impossible to replace should you lose one (in those organizations where the mainframes still have a heavy involvement).

The other aspect I've run into is that I have yet to find any company that is truly willing to help with keeping their staff current. Just about all of the training that has been offered to me through work has been basic slop I already had or could have picked up on my own, and there's been a lot of resistance to even subsidizing some of the "good" training classes (the ones that tend to be expensive). Never mind having to explain why the trainer pushing a cert. track @ 2K is usually NOT teaching at the same level as the trainer pushing the SAME course @ 6K, and why it would be desirable at times to get the "better" training.

Loner - good luck in your search. Since we're going into proverbs - the one that's worked best for me is "you need a job to get a job". Don't be afraid to pick something up for now, so that you can buy yourself the time to find THE job, the one you want, with the right people, etc....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I hear from a lot of companies and some are pretty good abourt training their people and helping them keep current IF they are using those technologies. If they're not, then there's less concern about growing skills.

I think there are some aging staff, but it's not always a consideration when keeping people around. There are always others arguing for upgrading/rewriting the apps and that the "new, current" skills are better suited.

I don't think most companies want a lot of IT turnover. The exceptions seem to be larger company that have adopted the "performance management curves" which force everyone to be rated in a curve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply