Individual Contributions

• We all have a role to fill at times in our lives. Sometimes it's a high level role, and at times it's a low level role. Each of us brings value for the work we do, and none of us is any "better" at life than any other. The lead developer might seem like they are more important than the secretary or the cleaning crew, but those other contributions are important as well. They're valuable, and they should be appreciated.

Thanks Steve - words to live by. I actually brought this topic up to my team just yesterday. It is nice when people will do certain things that others don't want to do or don't have the skill to do. We need to be mindful of these things - and be grateful that it is getting done.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Michael Valentine Jones (8/26/2010)

If you are really valuable to the organization, you should make a point of taking a long vacation every year so that people have to get along without you.

"I’m off on a two week safari to Ngorongoro Crater. Too bad they don’t have cell phone coverage there. See you when I get back."

I actually took a few days off once just so that my boss would realize how much I did. I obviously needed the time off too, but once I got back my boss started helping me manage my workload. He didn't realize how much was on my plate until he had to do it. And that was all the routine day-to-day stuff, he actually wasn't capable of handling any of the DBA tasks I do. Since, we've actually hired 3 different people to do jobs I used to do (and other tasks, of course; they're focused job descriptions allow them to perform those tasks much better than I ever could). I definitely appreciate what those people do, because I was there once and their existance allows me to focus on the job that I do.

Also, as a manufacturing company, we have production and office workers. I'm good friends with many of the production worked, and try to never think of them being on a lower "level" than I am. Without them, we wouldn't have anything to sell. Our company is a little unique in that I think most people realize this and feel the same way. We value every cog in the machine, large or small; they all have a place and without one, the machine would not operate as well.

--J

• There's a person in my office who handles PO's & invoices, licensing compliance, scheduling, staff reporting, timsheets, filters telephone calls, arranges birthdays, etc...and she always does the job cheerfully. She has the responsibility of an office manager but - sadly - without the pay. Poor girl sits by herself and I make a point to go over and say hello at least once a day. My opinion is that she doesn't receive nearly enough recognition and she has more capability than the tasks she is given.

Anyway, she was away sick for a few days earlier this month and we certainly felt the pain. She's the glue that keeps the place from falling to pieces. We should be more respectful and appreciative. Let's not forget "Fight Club" πŸ™‚

James Stover, McDBA

• My rule of thumb regarding this is that I accept any contriburions from anyone as long as they are not illegal. πŸ˜€

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply