Indexing Service enabled on hard drives with databases...

• I figured out this morning that the hard drives that have my databases on them, also has the windows option "Allow Indexing Service to indes this disk for fast file searching" enabled. Now, I am assuming that this goes under the "bad thing" idea.... But my server admins want me to be able to document this before they allow me to turn it off. Searching the net using Google and here, I could not find any mentions of this (neither positive or negative).

So if anyone has any enlightenment, either their own or articles, it would be greatly appreciated.

• The indexing should just fetch file names, right? I don't think it's altogether that bad, but yeah I'd probably shut it off.

Ask them to turn compression on as well if they're going to leave indexing on...LOL

• LOL

Actually as a consultant I came accross a site that had software compression turned on, back in the days of Pentium Pro 180s.... Lord was I a hero when it came to improving performance when I turned that off.

I do believe the Indexing Service also does contents on files though.

• Anders Pedersen (3/4/2009)

LOL

Actually as a consultant I came accross a site that had software compression turned on, back in the days of Pentium Pro 180s.... Lord was I a hero when it came to improving performance when I turned that off.

I do believe the Indexing Service also does contents on files though.

Yeah good point. And if anti-virus can peek inside a sql server file, indexing probably could as well. I agree - tell those newbs to shut it off 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply