Indexing: How will you index this query??

• create table TB (StartDate datetime, StartTime datetime, EndDate datetime, EndTime datetime)

declare @dt datetime , @time datetime

select * from TB

where StartDate < @dt

AND StartTime< @time

AND (EndDate>=@dt OR EndTime >=@time)

In the above query how will you apply indexes???

--Whether it will be clustered on StartDate only? or Nounclustered on all four columns? or Nonclustered on EndDate and EndTime ? or anything else???

--In these type of queries how do we decide indexing???

--Can we rewrite this query in some more efficient way???

I came across this question recently and not finding proper answer to this, even I tried with dummy data and execution plan. But I am not able to come to any final conclusion

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help.

• Non clustered on all four columns. Go read my blog (indexing category) for a post explaining why.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hey GilaMonster , thanks for the info.

• I went through your "Indexing with ORs" http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2011/05/03/indexing-for-ors/comment-page-1/#comment-1703 article.

I tried few things at my end, in the arcticle you mentioned that first select query should result in 2 seeks with a merge join and second select query should result in indesx scan. For me both the queries are resulting in index scan.

CREATE TABLE Customers

(CustomerID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,

Surname VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL,

FirstName VARCHAR(30),

Title VARCHAR(5),

CustomerType CHAR(1) NOT NULL,

IsActive BIT DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL,

RegistrationDate DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE() )

CREATE INDEX idx_Customers_IsActive ON dbo.Customers (IsActive) INCLUDE (FirstName, Surname)

CREATE INDEX idx_Customers_RegistrationDate ON dbo.Customers (RegistrationDate)

SELECT CustomerID FROM dbo.Customers WHERE IsActive = 1 OR RegistrationDate = '2010-01-24'

SELECT CustomerID,FirstName, Surname FROM dbo.Customers WHERE IsActive = 1 OR RegistrationDate = '2010-01-24'

Plz explain.

• Post Execution plans please.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Hi,

Please find the attached bmp file for execution plan.

• Not a picture...please provide the actual execution plan saved as a .sqlplan file.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Both of them.

Edit: As in, I need to see the .sqlplan file for both the queries (not both picture and .sqlplan)

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (6/22/2011)

Both of them.

🙂

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• aditya-457589 (6/21/2011)

create table TB (StartDate datetime, StartTime datetime, EndDate datetime, EndTime datetime)

declare @dt datetime , @time datetime

select * from TB

where StartDate < @dt

AND StartTime< @time

AND (EndDate>=@dt OR EndTime >=@time)

In the above query how will you apply indexes???

--Whether it will be clustered on StartDate only? or Nounclustered on all four columns? or Nonclustered on EndDate and EndTime ? or anything else???

--In these type of queries how do we decide indexing???

--Can we rewrite this query in some more efficient way???

I came across this question recently and not finding proper answer to this, even I tried with dummy data and execution plan. But I am not able to come to any final conclusion

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help.

Is this a homework question where you're supposed to think for yourself?

Chris

• Don't store date and time in separate fields. What is your reasoning for doing this. Also, I think your query will not return the results you expect with the given WHERE clause.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply