Indexes in action

• I have started learning about indexes, especially the basic important one: Clustered, Non-clustered and Covering indexes. I have read the theories, and now I'd like to know more about the actual usages from developer perspective. What are things needs to take consideration regarding with indexes in development, in real life? Can please let me know some links that I can refer to. Thank you all.

• The stairway to Indexes on this site is a good starting point.

Gail Shaw has a good article on ordering columns in indexes.

This article goes into detail on how Clustered Indexes work, though it is more heavy on concepts than practical examples.

One thing to clarify - clustered and non-clustered are the two main types of indexes.  Covering index is a relative term that only refers to how an index relates to a particular query; it is simply an index which includes all the columns needed for the query.  A covering index could be either clustered or non-clustered.

• an informative and fun series by Brent Ozar is "How to think like the SQL Server engine", available for free:
    https://www.brentozar.com/training/think-like-sql-server-engine/

• Chris Harshman - Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:50 PM

an informative and fun series by Brent Ozar is "How to think like the SQL Server engine", available for free:
    https://www.brentozar.com/training/think-like-sql-server-engine/

Yup fun and informative way to learn Indexing, indeed. I am enjoying the video series.

• doug.brown - Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:00 PM

The stairway to Indexes on this site is a good starting point.

Gail Shaw has a good article on ordering columns in indexes.

This article goes into detail on how Clustered Indexes work, though it is more heavy on concepts than practical examples.

One thing to clarify - clustered and non-clustered are the two main types of indexes.  Covering index is a relative term that only refers to how an index relates to a particular query; it is simply an index which includes all the columns needed for the query.  A covering index could be either clustered or non-clustered.

Yup, I am re-reading on some of those articles . This morning I've read through SQL Server Indexes: The Basics, by Kathi Kellenberger , too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply