Indexes

• Thanks for the question. I would like to see a table that has needed that many indexes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/6/2011)

Thanks for the question. I would like to see a table that has needed that many indexes.

I'd guess Microsoft increased this number with the introduction of filtered indexes in SQL Server 2008...

Still wouldn't want to have a table with this many indexes in a real application scenario.

• michael.kaufmann (10/6/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/6/2011)

Thanks for the question. I would like to see a table that has needed that many indexes.

I'd guess Microsoft increased this number with the introduction of filtered indexes in SQL Server 2008...

Still wouldn't want to have a table with this many indexes in a real application scenario.

I'm thinking along the same lines - that could become a nightmare real quick.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I would like to see a real world scenario where 999 indexes are needed. Seems like a nightmare to maintain...

• Like other have already stated, this was a great straight-forward question. That's excellent and I congratulate the author for this one.

I also agree that 999 on a single table would be a lot of indexes. I suppose there's someone out there that's complaining they can't add one more though <smile>.

• damn, i needed 1000:exclamationmark:

hahaha

• This one looked familiar. Back in January, we were asked how many indexes could be applied to a SQL2005 table. Thanks for the reminder, not so much what the limits may be but, for the fact that there are limits.

• michael.kaufmann (10/6/2011)

Got it right--for SQL Server 2005 😉

Thanks for a straightforward question.

And you might find this link helpful as well.

Regards,

Michael

I recommend Michael's link as well.

In SQL Server 2005 and earlier, a maximum of 249 nonclustered indexes could be created on a table.

In SQL Server 2008: a maxiumum of 999 nonclustered indexes can be created on a single table.

• john.arnott (10/6/2011)

This one looked familiar. Back in January, we were asked how many indexes could be applied to a SQL2005 table. Thanks for the reminder, not so much what the limits may be but, for the fact that there are limits.

completly agree with you, sometimes limits are way beyond a user may or should need, but it's good to know there are in fact some limits...

• I have to wonder what having so many indexes would to to insert and update performance

• May be in Denali, this limit will be further increased

===========================================
    Better try and fail than not to try at all...

Database Best Practices[/url]

SQL Server Best Practices[/url]

• Nice basic question, thanks!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Nice straightforward question and answer.

Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply