Index types 2

• Argh, good question Hugo.

Sadly, I checked off the ones that weren't valid, and forgot to switch them before hitting submit. :angry:

• Great question, Hugo, got it wrong because of poor researching, but this is something good to have learned.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• Great Question..

-Erav

• Good question Hugo.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yes! Proudly I'm part of the 73% that went wrong. :pinch: But I've learned something new, and now I know a little bit more of SQL of what I knew yesterday.

Hugo, thanks for this good question.

• Glad to be part of the 27% that got it right, but that's only because I had the 4 to go by.

I would have probably bypassed the columnstore one otherwise. The rest I was pretty sure on either way, but the columnstore one was more plausible than the bitmap on a computed column one.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Thanks for the great question Hugo!

Kept me researching to figure out the correct answer. In the end, I followed the proecss of eliminitation 🙂

Very sure that you must have spent lot of time creating such a wonderful question!

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• Very good question.

Hugo Kornelis (8/30/2012)

BTW, maybe it's a bit early to say anything about the percentages, but at this point I am mainly surprised at:

* 28% wrong answers on the "bitmap on computed" option - I expected this to be lower

* 17% wrong answers on the "nonclustered on a view" option - here, I expected a higher failure rate

Well, the non-clustered index with included columns is an amusing concept, and I'm astounded that so many people (44% now) believe in such a fabulous beast. 🙂

Maybe people have some vague idea about bitmap indexes because a certain non-MS dbms offers its users this interesting form of mental agony, and that vague idea misleads them into guessing that they exist in MS SQLServer? Anyway, the number getting that one wrong is now down to 22%.

I guess these two numbers are a bit closer to your expctations now that they were early on.

Hugo Kornelis (8/30/2012)

DugyC (8/30/2012)

Had to answer by process of elimination

Thanks, Dugy!

Frankly, I am a bit disappointed that the site moderators included the number of correct answers. I had included a note that there are multiple correct answers without specifying how many, to make it a true test of knowledge - but apprently, including the number of correct answers for questions with more than one answer is now standard practice, applied to all those questions. 🙁

Well, I looked up the maximum column count for columnstore index anyway, because I knew there was a limit, and wanted to know what the limit was (obviously it was 260 or higher, but I didn't see knowing that as a reason not to go look it up - and I would have looked it up anyway if the count of 4 hadn't been given). I don't think generally that giving a count is a bad thing, although maybe for some questions it may give too much away. Do you really think it does here? (Maybe it saves people some time researching "bitmap" indexes, but if the objective is for people to learn about SQL Server rather than to learn about Mr Ellison's software that is perhaps a useful saving.)

edit: eliminate non-

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/2/2012)

Well, the non-clustered index with included columns is an amusing concept, and I'm astounded that so many people (44% now) believe in such a fabulous beast.

Not only do I believe in them, but I use them a lot as well. 🙂

If you meant "clustered index with included columns", then I believe in those as well because a clustered index always includes all of its columns. So this should have counted as a correct answer. (The answer wasn't about clustered indexes with an INCLUDE clause in their definition, but clustered indexes with included columns)

• Alex Fekken (9/3/2012)

L' Eomot Inversé (9/2/2012)

Well, the non-clustered index with included columns is an amusing concept, and I'm astounded that so many people (44% now) believe in such a fabulous beast.

Not only do I believe in them, but I use them a lot as well. 🙂

:blush: :w00t:

So do I!

If you meant "clustered index with included columns", then I believe in those as well because a clustered index always includes all of its columns. So this should have counted as a correct answer. (The answer wasn't about clustered indexes with an INCLUDE clause in their definition, but clustered indexes with included columns)

yes, that's what I meant. And to me the question seemed to be about t-sql syntax as well as semantics, so it was indeed about clustered indexes with INCLUDE clause.

Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply