Index space incorrect

• Hi,

I was poking around on a client's old SQL 2000 server, trying to discover the cause of a long-running etl job, and I noticed that one of the destination tables was reporting the "index space" incorrectly. By incorrectly, I mean terrabytes, compared to hundreds of megabytes for the data space.

I'm wondering if this is a symptom that might point me to the cause of the core problem. What might this mean?

Some background:

The data is cleared and reloaded nightly.

The table is a heap (no clustered index)

The table has several indexes.

My first inclination when I noticed that there was no clustered index was that I should add one, but I've read since then that sometimes it's better not to use a CX on warehouse tables. Nothing references this table with a FK. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dan Guzman - Not the MVP (7/22/2010)
    All questions have to be prefaced by Server version and 'according to MS Docs' or 'my own personal opinion based on how much detail I felt like digging into at the time.'

• DBCC UPDATEUSAGE

There are bugs in the space-tracking algorithms on SQL 2000. UpdateUsage will fix the incorrect space metadata. You may want to schedule it to run often, though if you have a regularly scheduled CheckDB (and you should) it will silently fix the errors itself.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail,

I was kinda hoping it meant some problem, so I could say AHA! 😉

Dan Guzman - Not the MVP (7/22/2010)
    All questions have to be prefaced by Server version and 'according to MS Docs' or 'my own personal opinion based on how much detail I felt like digging into at the time.'

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply