Index Searches rate too high

• Every day i get an alert from our server monitoring tool (HP Openview):

Msg. ID : f8eef650-9711-71db-09e0-0a1d254f0000

Severity : MAJOR

Node : servername.domain name

Appl. : MS SQL

Object : SERVERNAME

Text : DBSPI-3052.1: Index searches rate (19313.13/sec) too high (>=5000.00) for SERVERNAME.

Date-Time: 02:55:38 12/29/2006

Inst. :

Short Description: Number of index searches per second. These are used to start range scans and single index record fetches and to reposition an index

Cause: In general the number of Index is recommended to be high. This means that more searches are being performed thru the use of indexes rather than full scans. This is preferable. However on large databases where the data is constantly changing, if this value starts to decrease and the full scan value starts to increase. It is possible that the statistics for the tables and indexes need to be updated.

Action: Update the statistics for the affected tables. Use Enterprise Manager to reschedule when statistics samples are updated. They may not be occurring frequently enough, or they may not be scheduled at all. In this case set 'auto update statistics' database option on all your databases.

The automatic action report for this metric shows which users are connected to SQL Server.

-----------------------

Is this something i need to worry about?  I have turned on Auto Update Statistics for all the databases but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks,

Henry

• If you don't have an idea of what is "normal" for your system, then there's no way of knowing if this is a good number or not. I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd monitor it and then benchmark what is expected. I'd also raise the alert counter to a higher level for now.

• - Did you rebuild the indexes ?

- also manualy run dbcc updateusage and sp_updatestats on all your db or at least on the one where you encounter these alerts.

- try to examine why there are that mutch index-scans ! I'd try to look for wrong datatypedefinitions in the running queries/procs,...

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• manually update the statistics first.

Pankaj Khanna
    Database Administrator - SQL Server 2000

Keep hope to keep you intact...

• This is the problem of such tools, which largely, in my opinion, are pretty useless. I might also observe that there is little point in receiving such alerts if you don't actually understand them - in effect this is akin to the blind leading the blind. I'd disable the alert, as Steve says if you have no baseline to work from and/or no understanding of what this alert indicates then it's pointless.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply