Index performance - DeFragmented to Fragmented to 90%+

• OK, I'm aware of the performance increase of indexes, that's all fine.

What I am looking for is how to fragment an index so I can test it's fragmented performance on an iSCSI LUN.

I can test without an index, that's fine. I can test with a newly created index (of course that means it's not fragmented) and that's fine.

But what I want to do is DELIBERATELY FRAGMENT (:w00t:) an index to 90%+ fragmented to test it's performance.

I have a table with 5 million rows that I use.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• assuming this is not a production table, you could update all the index key values, that should give you a high level of fragmentation.

here is an example

CREATE TABLE frag(id int IDENTITY(1, 1),

col varchar(10));

go

CREATE INDEX IX_col ON frag([col]);

go

INSERT INTO frag

VALUES ('test');

GO 10000

ALTER INDEX ALL ON frag REBUILD;

go

UPDATE frag

SET col = col + col;

go

SELECT avg_fragmentation_in_percent

FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(DB_ID(), OBJECT_ID('frag'), 2, NULL, 'DETAILED')

WHERE index_level = 0;

DROP TABLE frag;

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks!!

• dbcc shrinkfile / dbcc shrinkdatabase always work great for me when I need to frag an index 😉

• Simply shrink the data file and it will cause fragmentation.

You can insert,update and delete tons of data into this table and you will notice fragmentation. Script from Robert works too.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply