index fragmentation for Share point Content database

• Hi,

I'm trying to find the index fragmentation in a share point content database in SQL Server 2005.

SELECT avg_fragmentation_in_percent, page_count FROM sys.dm_db_index_physicalstats (12, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL)

REsults:

avg_fragmentation_in_percentPage _count

38.88888889 18

38.88888889 18

38.88888889 18

75 4

66.66666667 3

50 2

50 2

83.33333333 6

75 4

75 4

66.66666667 3

As the page count is less than 1000, can we ignore this index fragmentation?

thank you

Kln

• Could you please advice me..

thanks

• Yes, you can more or less ignore the index fragmentation for those tables. What I normally do is schedule a weekly index rebuild for smaller systems and just select all indexes to be rebuilt.

It doesn't hurt - as long as you have the maintenance window, and usually the weekends don't have a lot of users on Sharepoint at 3am.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• We run index maintenance(rebuild/reorganise) every night on our sharepoint databases as our databases are highly used.

I don't see any harm in rebuilding/reorganising sharepoint indexes.

Vivek

Vivek Shukla - MCTS SQL Server 2008

• I'm getting High Disk Quelength (for the Data drive, having .mdf files) alarms from Spot light whenever the Index rebuild/reorganize job runs.

Could you please post the Script you are using for Index rebuild/ reorganise for Share point databases...

Currently, I'm using Maintenance plan job for Index rebuild/ reorganis

thank you

• Hi Vivek Shukla,

Could you please post the Script you are using for Index rebuild/ reorganise for Share point databases...

As you are maintaining Share Point databases in SQL Server, I have couple of questions to make sure:

1. While installing SQL Server, what collation settings you have selected?

2. What is the collation settings for your system databases?

3. What is the collations settings for your share point databases?

I appreciate your help

thank you

kln

• Could you please post the Script you are using for Index rebuild/ reorganise for Share point databases...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175008.aspx

I have used script listed on this page but i have modified it to replace cursor and run it for all databases in production server rather than just one database.

As you are maintaining Share Point databases in SQL Server, I have couple of questions to make sure:

Latin1_General_CI_AS

Latin1_General_CI_AS

Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS

Hope this helps!

Vivek

Vivek Shukla - MCTS SQL Server 2008

• Thank you,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175008.aspx

I have used script listed on this page but i have modified it to replace cursor and run it for all databases in production server rather than just one database.

I'm also using the same script, but I'm running manually in every database. I tried to make it work for all database and create a SQL Agent job BUT I did not make it work. I appreciate if you share the script you are using.

Latin1_General_CI_AS

I have selected the default Collation settings SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI

Latin1_General_CI_AS

Our system database have the collation as SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI

Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS

Share Point databases Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS

So system databases have the collation settings as SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI

user databases have the collation settings as Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS

while installing SQL Server I selected default collations SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI? Do I need to change the collations to Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS?

thank you

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175008.aspx

I'm also using the same script, but I'm running manually in every database. I tried to make it work for all database and create a SQL Agent job BUT I did not make it work. I appreciate if you share the script you are using.

I too need that script to work for all databases in an instance so that I can create a SQL Agent job.

Anybody can post the full script which work for all databases in an instance.

thank you very much

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply