Index Fill Factor

• I have noticed that a lot of my indexes have an OrigFillFactor of 90

Does anyone know where this figure is set ?

I have checked the database settings, and sp_configure and can find no trace of this setting.

Is there somewhere I am missing ? or is there anywhere else (like local machine), that would hold this setting ?

June Johnston

june.johnston@hrplc.co.uk

• It is available in the design screen when you choose to manage indexes. Open to a table in EM and right click. Choose design. WHen the window opens, right click the table desgin screen and choose manage/indexes. There you will find a fill factor for each index of that table. If you want to reset this the use DBCC DBREINDEX (See SQL BOL for more info).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for that, but I am trying to determine what is causing this to be set when tables are created.

When I create a table and then modify the index in the way you describe - the box is unchecked and no fill factor is set.

However tables/ indexes created by others (on the same server) have a fill factor?

June Johnston

june.johnston@hrplc.co.uk

• What steps are they using when creating the table and are the setting the value themselves in the index screen if they use EM? They have to be setting when they create the table, which can also be set in the CREATE TABLE statment.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Do you have maintenance plans setup on the database(s) in question? If so, are you Reorganizing data and index pages and changing the free space to 10%?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes we have maintenance plans and yes I have just checked they are reorganised with 10% free space.

Thank u so much

June Johnston

June.Johnston@hrplc.co.uk

• We scratched our heads over that one when we scripted our databases for change control and suddenly saw a fill factor. Turned out to be the maintenance plan.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• That is exactly what we have done - our live box was showing the fill factor, while dev boxes did not.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply