Index drop & recreate statements

• With a long uptime, I checked the index use and would like to drop the indexes which have zero user_seeks/scans & lookups. Such indexes are not used and are wasting performance with many index updates.

Just to be (newbie)sure, I would like to have the statement to recreate the dropped indexes. Maybe anyone know of such a script?

The script I use to check my indexes and also output the 'drop index' cmd is following:

Why I not just disable? Because if i'm correct an index rebuild will recreate the disabled indexes & our maintenance plans have such rebuilds included.

Rgds 2 all & thx for any help/comment.

T.

SELECT o.name AS object_name, i.name AS index_name

, i.type_desc, u.user_seeks, u.user_scans, u.user_lookups

, u.user_updates, u.last_user_seek, u.last_user_scan

, 'Drop index [' + i.name + '] on [' + o.name + ']' as DropIndexStatement

FROM sys.indexes i

JOIN sys.objects o ON i.object_id = o.object_id

LEFT JOIN sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats u ON i.object_id = u.object_id

AND i.index_id = u.index_id

AND u.database_id = DB_ID()

WHERE o.type <> 'S'

and isnull(u.user_updates,0) > 0

and i.type_desc <> 'HEAP'

ORDER BY (convert(decimal(19,4),ISNULL(u.user_seeks, 0))

+ ISNULL(u.user_scans, 0)

+ ISNULL(u.user_lookups, 0))/ISNULL(u.user_updates, 0) asc

, user_updates desc, o.name, i.name

• T2000 (6/10/2009)

With a long uptime, I checked the index use and would like to drop the indexes which have zero user_seeks/scans & lookups. Such indexes are not used and are wasting performance with many index updates.

Be careful. The index usage stats DMV only contains info since the last start of SQL Server. I strongly suggest that you don't just go and drop all 'unused' indexes without checking that they are indeed unused. Dropping a couple indexes needed for the month end/year end run is generally not a great idea.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • i understand. The uptime now is about 7months. I presume this is long enough + fact the index usage = zero.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply