Index Corruption?

• I have a select statement as follows on a table (indexes shown) which returns the following data:

Before index rebuild:

SELECT

K.PAGE_NUM,

K.LINE_NUM

FROM PS_PAY_LINE K, PS_PAY_EARNINGS L

WHERE K.EMPLID     = '110164'

AND K.EMPL_RCD  = 0

AND K.COMPANY    = 'CGP'

AND K.PAYGROUP   = 'CGP'

AND K.PAY_END_DT = '10/24/04'

AND L.COMPANY=K.COMPANY

AND L.PAYGROUP=K.PAYGROUP

AND L.PAY_END_DT=K.PAY_END_DT

AND L.OFF_CYCLE=K.OFF_CYCLE

AND L.PAGE_NUM=K.PAGE_NUM

AND L.LINE_NUM=K.LINE_NUM

AND K.MANUAL_CHECK = 'N'

Data Returned:

11                    1

107                  6

Indexes:

PSAPAY_EARNINGS          nonclustered located on PRIMARY              COMPANY, PAYGROUP, PAY_END_DT, OFF_CYCLE, PAGE_NUM, LINE_NUM, SEPCHK, ADDL_NBR, PAY_LINE_STATUS, OK_TO_PAY, SINGLE_CHECK_USE, EMPLID, EMPL_RCD, BENEFIT_RCD_NBR

PSBPAY_EARNINGS          nonclustered located on PRIMARY              EMPLID, COMPANY, PAYGROUP, PAY_END_DT, PAY_LINE_STATUS

PSEPAY_EARNINGS          nonclustered located on PRIMARY              FLSA_END_DT, EMPLID, PAYGROUP, COMPANY, EMPL_RCD, PAY_LINE_STATUS

PSFPAY_EARNINGS           nonclustered located on PRIMARY              COMPANY, PAYGROUP, PAY_END_DT, PAGE_NUM, LINE_NUM, SEPCHK, OK_TO_PAY, EMPLID, EMPL_RCD

PS_PAY_EARNINGS           clustered, unique located on PRIMARY       COMPANY, PAYGROUP, PAY_END_DT, OFF_CYCLE, PAGE_NUM, LINE_NUM, ADDL_NBR

After I issue a DBCC DBREINDEX (PS_PAY_EARNINGS, '')

the results returned for the same select, same indexes are:

107                  6

11                    1

How can this be? Are the statistics corrupted? The second result set is what was expected but i cannot figure out why the results would different?

Terry

• The only thing I can think off is that the statistic were updated and that the execution plan changed after the reindex because a better index was found.

I ran into a strange situation not unlike yours yesterday ::

I create a query, test it with a few parameters and it works great (1-2 ms each time), then 1 param change cause the query to take more than 2 secs. After playing around with the execution plan I try to run sp_updatestats and Voila 2 ms for that query too.

• re-write your query and include an "order by " clause will guareentee the order of resultset.

after the index got rebuild, the order that records are returning can be changed because the b-tree will be re-structured.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply